June 03, 2016

How to Add Legs to Furniture

See my full disclosure policy here.



I had this china hutch. It was a hand me down from my husband's grandma. The problem was, it no longer had a stand. We used to live in the Midwest, and one summer the rains were crazy, and our basement flooded. The china hutch was in the basement. And the wooden stand was ruined.




But it was the only place I had to store my china, so I used it without the stand, but it made getting into the drawers pretty tricky. So when we moved recently and all the china was packed up, I decided to make over the china hutch before putting all the china back in.



I got the idea to add bun feet on Pinterest. They were so easy to use, but they didn't match the china hutch. I read from the reviews that the feet didn't take stain well, so I decided to just paint the whole thing. I used the same color used for the wood trim in our house, and done!

You can find bun feet at stores like Lowes and Home Depot. Mine came from Lowes. They have a little screw already attached, so they're super easy to install. Just drill holes slightly smaller than the screws in each corner of your furniture. (There are two holes here-one was the old one for the stand.)


Then simply screw the feet in until they're secure. And you've added legs to your furniture.


To paint it, I made some homemade chalk paint. It makes a really great base coat, and you don't have to do anything to the wood beforehand, unless it's really dirty or something.


Here's my base coat. I used the calcium carbonate recipe. You can buy calcium carbonate on amazon-I found a pound of it for about $8. From what I've read, it's the best way to make your own chalk paint, but I don't have anything to compare it to.


I love how much brighter it looks. And I love having a place to display my china and other knick knacks. Everything in here tells a story, from the wedding china of my husband's great aunt, to the cake topper from our wedding.






Liked this post? See more! Connect with me on facebook, instagram, and pinterest!

1 comment:

Michele Hedin said...

Oh, wow! That looks so great. You did a great job. The white color looks good in your house. You should do your coffee table too!

Ads Inside Post