September 30, 2015

Sewing With Paper Patterns: Part 2

See my full disclosure policy here.

The fabric in the pictures below was free from Organic Cotton Plus in exchange for a previous review.


Today for Part 2 of this series, we're going to talk about preparing your pattern pieces and cutting out your fabric. Make sure to read part 1 for more about reading the pattern envelope and choosing the right pattern pieces for your project.



To prep your pattern pieces, open up the pattern tissue and lay it on an ironing board. Set your iron to the lowest setting, no steam, and iron the wrinkles and fold lines out of the pattern tissue.


Locate the pattern pieces you need. There are lots of markings on them.
Green-the seam allowance is usually printed on the pattern pieces. You can also find the ease printed on them for patterns where ease would be important.
Orange-The number of the pattern piece
Blue-Grainline. This should run parallel to the selvage.
Pink-Pattern markings, including darts, dots (used to help you match up pieces when you're sewing or for things like button placement) and button hole marks.


If you need help with pattern markings, they are explained under the section titled General Directions. There will also be some sewing techniques that you'll use throughout the project that won't be included in the steps.



I like to trace my pattern pieces onto freezer paper. This way, you can reuse the pattern tissue for different sizes. You can also make any adjustments to the pattern, such as length adjustments or sizing adjustments, like when you need a different size based on chest, waist, and hip measurements.

You can use a ruler to help make sure your pattern is on the grain. Make the grainline parallel to the selvage by making sure both lines are straight using a clear ruler.


I find the easiest way to transfer the pattern markings to the fabric is by using a fabric marker. The one I have stays on until you get it wet, and then it comes right out. I just spray it with water from the water sprayer bottle I keep by my iron when I'm done and I've never had a problem.

Once your pattern pieces are all cut out and marked, you're ready to sew!




Part 1
Part 3
Liked this post? See more! Connect with me on facebook, instagram, and pinterest!

1 comment:

Michele Hedin said...

Really good ideas that I've never thought of before.

Ads Inside Post