April 15, 2015

Big Bow Headband Tutorial

See my full disclosure policy here.


Earlier this week I posted about the Fawn Lily Tunic I made for my baby. You can see my Fawn Lily Tunic here.

I also made a bow to go with the outfit, and I love how big and full it is. Since I made the bow with knit fabric so that it would match the headband perfectly, I had to figure out something to do to make sure it would stand up instead of flopping all over the place. Scroll down for the tutorial, and I'll share what I did.






Here's the tutorial. Enjoy my expertly rendered drawings too.


1. Cut two rectangles, 5x7 inches in size, from knit fabric. Cut 1 rectangle (same size-or a little smaller if you want it inside the seam allowances to reduce bulk) of interfacing and fuse it to the wrong side of one of your rectangles.

2. With right sides together, sew around the edges of the rectangles, leaving a gap in the middle of one of the short sides to turn. Clip corners, turn right side out and press.

3. Hand stitch the opening closed. Run a hand gathering stitch up the middle of the bow. The gathering stitch should go the length of the long edges of your bow. This is what makes it nice and full.

4.  Pull on gathering stitch to form bow. Wrap your thread around the bow a couple of times to hold the gathering in place.

5. Cut a small strip of fabric maybe 1x2 inches (didn't measure that part, sorry!). Fold in half right sides together and sew up the long edge, leaving the ends open. Turn right side out and press. This is the center for your bow.

6. Cut a length of knit fabric for your headband. The size is kind of up to you, but you want the piece to be double the width you want the headband to be, plus seam allowances. Make sure the stretch is the length of your headband, so it will stretch around the head. You want the headband to be a little shorter then the length around the head, but how much shorter will depend on the stretchiness of the knit fabric you're using. Fold it in half right sides together and stitch up the long edge. Turn right side out and press flat.

7. Sew the headband into a loop. Place the bow over this stitching. Wrap the center (from step 5) around both the bow and the headband and stitch in place. You can also add a few more stitches to make sure the bow stays where you want it on the headband.

No comments:

Ads Inside Post