March 30, 2015

The Sally Dress by Very Shannon

See my full disclosure policy here.

The Sally Dress is a pattern I've owned for awhile, but never sewn. I got it as part of a bundle some time. During a nursing session with the baby, I came up with the idea to use this fabric to make it. That's where I get most of my ideas lately. Thank goodness for smartphones. Seriously, how did people nurse in the dark without them?


I only had a yard of the main fabric, so I was thinking of making a tunic instead of a dress, but then I realized that I had this scrap that would match perfectly. I also have a white sheet set that I got on clearance that made the stripe to separate the two fabrics and ended up with this.


The instructions have you do things a little differently than I'm used to, but I liked how it worked out. It made it easier to do the topstitching and make sure you were going through all the layers, so you don't have any accidentally unsewn raw edges.


Here's the back. Also, like the wreath? Check it out here.


This dress is a pretty quick sew. I like it because there aren't any buttons or zippers to worry about. The only thing is the size. I went by the size chart, and it is a little on the snug side. As we were putting it on the first time, my daughter said she thought I should add some buttons. It was a little late at that point, but if your child is between sizes, I'd definitely say to size up.


Here's the dress with the color blocking. 




Pattern: The Sally Dress by Very Shannon
Fabric: Flying Geese Batik by Alison Glass for Andover
White Sheet
Birds and Berries by Lauren and Jessi Jung for Moda

6 comments:

EHC said...

I need to give this pattern a try too! I got it as part of a Sew Fab bundle. Maybe I mis-read the fabric chart, but it looked like the required fabric for a 3T was around 2.5 yards. Huh? I appreciate your color blocking inspiration! It looks lovely.

Annie said...

Lovely red dress! I like how you lengthened the dress by color-blocking. Beautiful!

Terra Sews said...

Thanks! That seems like a lot of fabric. You could probably get away with less, especially if you used a different fabric for the lining and did a sleeveless version.

Terra Sews said...

Thank you!

hannah hani said...

lovely dress. can u teach me how to do it? thank u :)

Terra Sews said...

Thanks! I don't have a tutorial, because I made it using a pattern, but you can buy the pattern. It's from Very Shannon and I believe you can get it from her website.

Ads Inside Post