March 16, 2015

How to Organize Your PDF Patterns

See my full disclosure policy here.

Some of the patterns in the files pictured were given to me for free in exchange for a review, for testing, etc. I'm not going to list each and every pattern and whether it was free or not, but if you're curious, shoot me an email and I'll let you know whether it was purchased or free. Otherwise, go ahead and assume it was free, mkay?


When you print off your PDF patterns, do they end up looking something like this? I had mine thrown in a box, and they were getting pretty crazy.


So I did a quick organizational project. I grabbed a pack of folders at Walmart and labeled them with the patterns I have printed out. I label them with the name of the pattern and the size range. Then I just fold the pattern pieces where I've taped them together, which means that they'll be the right size to fit in the folder. I also throw in pieces I've traced if I think there's a chance I'll use them again.


And then I put them in a filing cabinet that my husband gave me. The folders are organized by type of pattern (sort of). Some of them are a little bent, but they for sure look lots better than the pile of paper I had before, and it is much easier to find what I need.





4 comments:

Honora said...

I use gallon size Ziplock bags. Folding each piece and the instructions up perfectly can be a challenge. I like to be able to both see and touch the patterns.

Sheena Anderson said...

Great idea!! I have mine in binders and now I have started only printing the pieces to cut out and not printing the instructions and just pulling up the instructions on my computer or iPad.

Terra Sews said...

Great idea!

Terra Sews said...

Me too! Some of those patterns have so many pages of instuctions I probably would have killed a forest by now if I printed them up every time!

Ads Inside Post