March 26, 2015

DIY Spring Tulip Wreath

See my full disclosure policy here.


I love this pretty tulip wreath. I saw it on Pinterest last year, and I've wanted to make it ever since. I never did get to it last spring, but I made it this year, and I love how bright and cheery it looks. Tulips are one of my favorite flowers, but they don't last very long, and if you cut them, they have an even shorter life span. Especially with my brown and dead (as opposed to green) thumb.


I got bunches of fake tulips at Michaels. I also used a grapevine wreath. I just stuck the flowers in. I was planning on gluing them, but they actually stay in pretty well with the trick I used (see below).


My wreath holder doesn't fit on my front door, or at least, it won't unless I cut a notch for it in the door frame. And I don't think that would be a good idea. So I brought it inside and it adds some spring cheerfulness to my entryway.


Since the tutorial is great, I won't redo it here.

A couple of things I didn't see mentioned in the original tutorial:

First, make sure to use wire cutters or pliers or something. The stems have wires in them and you'll destroy your scissors if you try to use them instead.


The greenery on the stem can get in the way so that you can't poke it into your wreath very well.


Slide it all the way to the top and you have a nice long stem to work with and also, the greenery helps fill in your wreath.


Also, I didn't have a coupon, so my cost was closer to $25, not the $12 mentioned in the tutorial.





4 comments:

Katie said...

It is beautiful. I live in a little Dutch town in Northwest WA, so we have lots of tulips planted downtown. I saw one wreath on one of the $saving sites last week that actually found spring flowers at one of the Dollar Stores.
Your wreath turned out so pretty. Also another hint I saw somewhere, If your wreath-holder won't fit over the door, the hand it by a ribbon inside the door--attached to a large upside-down command hook,the ribbon comes over the door to the outside---hope this makes some sense.

Terra Sews said...

Genius! Thanks for sharing that idea.

Laura J. said...

I really love this so much. Must try it. I wonder if a four-year-old could help???

Terra Sews said...

I'm sure a four-year-old would be a great helper! Especially if you don't use hot glue. Which, incidentally, my four-year-old tried to do by herself the other day....

Ads Inside Post