March 27, 2015

A Princess Dress for My Princess

See my full disclosure policy here.

I should start this off with a warning/caution/some sort of disclosure. When I had my daughter put this dress on, she asked if it was twirly. Then she spun around and yelled, "It is! It is!" And then spent the rest of the time twirling. Except for when she was complaining about the bright sun, like she's doing in this picture.


This is an older Violet Field Threads pattern, the Fiona Dress and Top. I picked it up for just $3 on Black Friday, mainly because I liked how it looked with the Daphne Knickers. But since I just made some of those, I decided to sew it up with this pink crepe back satin type fabric that I got for $1/yard. I didn't realize that it had ruching on the bodice and the sash, but I ended up liking it. I think it gives a little something extra. There is also an option to add some ribbon ties to create a bustle in the skirt.  


The size chart was, I thought, incomplete. It has a waist measurement, but no chest measurement. That was the same for their pants pattern I sewed, but I thought that was just because it was a pants pattern, and you don't need a chest measurement for pants. So I guessed on the size. I was originally intending to sew this for my older daughter, but I realized as I was attaching the skirt that I forgot to add length. I thought about changing it to the shirt version, but it seemed like too fancy of a fabric for a shirt. What the heck would I pair it with? So my middle daughter got it. And it's way to big in the chest. The sash helps it in the front, but from the back, it's obvious its too big. And also, I machine hemmed the skirt. I'm pretty sure that's a huge no no with satin.



The original design also uses button loops instead of a lapped button placket, which I decided to change. It's personal preference, but I really don't like the back to button like that. Although it may have been a mistake to change it. This $1/yard fabric snagged like crazy on my buttonhole foot.


One other note. With this pattern, and also their pants that I sewed recently, they rely on a serger or zig zag stitch to finish some areas, that you could potentially do differently to enclose the raw edges. If that's something that will bother you, read though the pattern so you can make adjustments. Or just be like me and add it to your list of reasons to buy a serger. 

She looks like she's about to fall over here, but really, she's just twirling and jumping at the same time.


Mainly because of my mistakes with the fit, when my daughter asked if this was a play dress, I said "Yep." And she was delighted. Although after re-tying that sash with the slippery fabric about 10 times, I had her change into less fancy clothes and put it with the other dress-up dresses. Hence the Princess Dress in the title of this post.

No comments:

Ads Inside Post