January 22, 2015

Bubble Tank Dress

See my full disclosure policy here.

I haven't sewn along with Project Run and Play for a long time, and so when I saw they were changing the format this year, I was excited. Sewing four outfits in four weeks is a bit much, but one outfit a month I can handle. Maybe.



So this month was a bubble dress. I started with an idea that completely evolved and this is what I ended up with. The skirt is a circle skirt with a rectangle lining to make the bubble. Then I used a knit tee shirt of mine to make into a tank for the bodice of the dress.


This dress was originally going to be for my middle girl, but that didn't work out. I made the tank way, way too long. It's even long on my oldest. I tied the sash really snugly, and it makes the bodice of the dress look like a tucked in t-shirt, but that was not my intention. I really should shorten the bodice, but let's be realistic. It's probably not going to happen. She likes it though, and she doesn't know I messed up-she's just happy to get a new dress.


See? That tucked in look was completely intentional. Ahem. Good thing my two older girls have almost the same chest measurement.


I lined the bubble skirt with the same fabric as the sash. These fabrics have coordinating colors, but with most of the chevron hidden, it's not overwhelmingly busy. At least, I hope not.


Here's a quick how-to for making a bubble circle skirt. It's pretty basic-all I have is photoshop elements.
1. Make a circle skirt

2. Make a rectangular liner. I used a width of 1.5 times the waist measurement plus ease. Make sure it's a couple of inches shorter than the length of the circle skirt.

3. Gather the circle skirt along the bottom edge.

4. With right sides together, insert the rectangle into the circle skirt. Adjust the gathers to fit. Pin and sew.

5. Turn right side out and press along seam line. Gather the top of the rectangle to fit the waist of the skirt. Adjust gathers to fit. Baste the waist and continue as normal.

6 comments:

Paisley Roots said...

LOVE the colors and patterns you chose! Even though the tucked in shirt is a *mistake* it looks darling!

Alida Makes said...

What a beautiful skirt! I have never done a circle bubble skirt before, but I will have to try it now after seeing yours!

Beth Cavanaugh said...

I really like your prints together, and the sash is so pretty!

Renee said...

Very pretty - the skirt is so nice and full using this method. gotta try it next!

Skirt Fixation said...

Oooh, love all the pattern mixing and matching!

Krista said...

This is adorable, something I can imagine my oldest daughter would like to wear too!

Ads Inside Post