December 12, 2014

Peasant Dress Mash-Up

See my full disclosure policy here.

So a little while ago, I discovered Create Kids Couture patterns. I really love some of their designs. They had a pattern sale and I snatched up a few of their PDFs and some of their paper patterns.

This is a mash-up of Rosanna's peasant dress and Caroline's peasant dress. Both were paper patterns, and both were on sale for $1, so I think they were worth the money.



There were some things I didn't like about the pattern. It directed you to sew the ruffles all the way to the neckline. I am not sure that I like them that high. I think I might prefer them under the casing. 
Side note: does anyone have a good iron they recommend? Mine really stinks. I tried and tried to get those ruffles to lay flat with it and they just won't do it. It's awful at getting wrinkles out too.

This was my favorite detail. For some reason, I really like the band of fabric at the bottom of the skirt above the ruffle.


Okay, now for my pros and cons of the pattern(s).

Pros:

I like the design. There are a lot of ways to go with different fabric combinations and such.

The two dresses had basically the same bodice, so it was super simple to mash the patterns.

Cons:

The way the instructions are worded kind of grates on my nerves. I've looked at other patterns and it seems that they are all the same. Instead of saying something like "topstitch above the seam" it will say "now we are going to topstitch above the seam." It makes me think of Father of the Bride, where Steve Martin says, "I'll tell you why we don't calm down. Because you're not excited. It takes two people for a we to calm down."

The line drawings for the paper patterns need work.

Neither a pro or con, but just FYI:

From what I've seen, most CKC patterns really require a serger. I don't have one, so I used my rolled hem foot on my sewing machine for the ruffles, but I think you'd get better results with a serger. Heck, you'd probably get better results with a regular sewing machine. Anyone know of tips to not have the fabric show through like that?

So, bottom line? I think these patterns were worth the $1 I spent on them for sure. I created a dress that I think my daughter will love. If I had paid full price, which I think is around $10, I would have been pretty disappointed though.

1 comment:

Charity said...

Honestly, my fabric shows through my rolled edges a bit even on my serger. The only way I've found to stop that is to go over each section twice, which makes the hem pretty stiff.

Those instructions would bother me too! Maybe they are trying to not be bossy, but it sounds as if they are talking to a one-year-old instead of an adult.

I really like the fabric you used for the skirt of the dress, and I agree, that band above the hem is pretty cute! =)

Ads Inside Post