November 07, 2014

Flower Satin Blessing Dress

See my full disclosure policy here.

Pattern was free because I helped test it.

I wanted to make my little girl a dress for her blessing (which is similar to a christening for our church). I decided to use some pretty satin flower fabric, so I wanted a simple dress to show off the fabric. I ended up using the Endless Dress pattern since I already had it. I made a muslin since I wanted to make sure it fit well. I ended up using the newborn size, and slightly shortening the sleeves.


I also made a little headband to go with it. I hung up the dress, but hadn't taken pictures yet, and the next time I went in the room, my four year old had hung it up next to the dress. I thought it was cute, so I took a picture. Excuse the wrinkly skirt. She'd already worn it when I took the pictures.


Since this was a formal dress, and because I didn't want to smash the flower fabric, I made sure to understitch instead of topstitch. Understitching goes through the lining and the seam allowances, but not the main fabric.


I added a sash at the end, because I thought it needed a little something extra. Since I didn't want to undo the side seams to add it in, I made some thread belt loops using this tutorial.


1 comment:

Kathy E. said...

Terra, this little blessing dress turned out beautifully! I've never sewn on satin before and I imagine it was slippery work. I do hope you post of photo or two of your little darling wearing it and the headband!

Ads Inside Post