October 25, 2014

Little Red Riding Hood Costume

See my full disclosure policy here.

Perfect peasant dress was free because I helped test. The book I got the cape pattern out of was also a free prize in a contest I entered.


This year I was really trying to talk my daughter into being Belle for Halloween. I think she looks a lot like Disney's Belle, and it was just going to be perfect. But she said no. And kept saying no, no matter how many times I brought it up. So when I saw a cute idea for Little Red Riding Hood in a sewing group I'm in, I decided to suggest that. To my surprise, she went for it.

 (So if this costume looks really familiar to someone, it's because it's pretty similar to my inspiration. If you're the creator of the original and have a place I can link to, I'd love to credit you!)


I made the cape with the pattern in the book Growing Up Sew Liberated. It had a cute little pointed hood that I loved.


For the dress, I used the Perfect Peasant Dress pattern. I added an underskirt with a ruffle. The corset I just drafted myself. It's just a rectangle with loops for the tie, which is just a length of grosgrain ribbon.


The cape is made with some faux velvet. It's cut in a circle, so it's nice and full.


I really love how this whole costume turned out. We used the basket for a prop for the photos. I told her she could use it to get her trick-or-treating candy in but she said she wants to use her pumpkin, because it's more spooky. Happy Halloween!


2 comments:

penny doty said...

Your model is so cute and so is your costume.

Kerry said...

She makes a charming Red.

Ads Inside Post