June 10, 2014

Sewing is Magic (for me)

See my full disclosure policy here.

I'm a little late to the party on this one (okay, who am I kidding, I'm always late to the party), but I was out of town all weekend. On Monday morning, I saw that I (along with several other people) had the dubious honor of being featured on another blog as examples of how not to sew. Basically this other blogger has taken it upon herself to purge the world of imperfect sewing. Instead of encouraging people to do better, her view (according to my interpretation) is that it's better to hide your work in shame than share it with the blogging world if it doesn't meet standards of perfection.


Now, I am well aware that my sewing isn't perfect. It's far from perfect. There are some tutorials and other posts I have on my blog that make me cringe when I look at them. In fact, in some cases, the only reason I haven't removed them is that they've been pinned, and I figured that if someone somewhere found inspiration from it, I would leave it up.



(At least I press now!)

But my goal when I sew isn't perfection. Don't get me wrong, I do try to improve my sewing, and I think that since starting this blog, I have become better. I've learned new things from others in this fabulous online sewing community that is usually so positive and encouraging. I remember getting an email from Shauna when I was first starting out that I thought was so nice and kind and totally made my day. (She wrote a wonderful response to this same thing-go read it here.) Maybe neither of us has perfect sewing skills (and in my case, that will probably never happen), but it's so fun to encourage each other and watch each other grow and improve and try new things. 



But my goal when I sew (as well as do other crafty things) is simply to enjoy the creative process. I love taking a piece of fabric and turning it into something that is wearable. I love sharing that with others and hopefully encouraging them to do the same. To realize that even if something isn't perfect, it's still okay to be proud of it. Or, as Ernest Hemingway said, “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” 



I love it when my girls go back to the pieces I've sewn for them again and again and again. I love when they proudly tell complete strangers on the street that "My mommy made this for me!" They don't care that the seams aren't perfectly straight or that there are sometimes weird puckers in various places. They just love that they are wearing something their mommy made for them because she loves them. I remember one of the girls over at Simple Simon and Co posting something to the effect of her daughter loves the clothes she makes for her because it's a reminder all day long that her mommy loves her. That's why I sew. Okay, and sometimes I sew for me too.



So in case this blogger reads this (and I know she's been over here at least once, ha!), I would ask that she reconsider before posting bad examples again. I know she said that she has more examples she'd like to share, but I hope that she will rethink that and weigh the pros and cons of her actions. Maybe there is a better, kinder way of achieving her goal. Please remember that there are real people behind these blogs. Sometimes its easy to say and do things behind the relative anonymity of the internet, but let's all strive to be a little nicer and kinder. 


14 comments:

Amy said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing and not deleting some of your first posts. I have a lot of then pinned!

Jackie said...

Nothing in nature in perfectly symmetrical or straight. I heard something to that effect when I was watching PBS (nerd alert!) one day. They were talking to an artist (sculptor?) about why his creations were done by hand and not a mold to get things perfect, straight, and symmetrical like everyone else's work. He purposely made them bend, or asymmetrical. And he said his art mirrors nature and nothing in nature is perfectly straight or symmetrical. I loved his point of view. Perfection is not real.

stacey said...

We are creating for ourselves and our families and friends... that is what is important! Don't change a thing on your blog, keep sewing and learning making that magic.

Jonie said...

So well said. I was appalled at that blogger and all her followers that had nothing nice to say. Apparently they weren't taught that particular lesson.
Keep on keeping up the magic.

Shari said...

Creativity is creativity, and guess what, I still have fabric to make myself a maternity dress...my son is now 16. For better or worse, at least you are sewing...if you don't do, you cannot improve. Keep up the awesome inspiration for the rest of us!

EHC said...

I'm always grateful to the online sewing community for what I've learned. Now that I have a more trained sewing eye, it's easy to pick out all of the mistakes in my store-bought clothing! Proof there really is no perfect sewing.
I play the organ at church but not on a regular basis. When I am asked to substitute, it is usually last-minute and with very little time to practice. I just say yes to be helpful and to serve others. When someone is critical of any mistakes I made while playing it used to make me want to cry, but I finally decided to just be proud of the fact that I had the courage to get up and share my talents in front of everyone. Even if it wasn't perfect, I knew I contributed to making the worship service better. I imagine sewing blogging might be like this too--even if it wasn't perfect, you (and others who read it) are better off for having contributed. Kudos to you for all you've done.

amy mayen said...

I'm still just dying to know who this meanie is. But I dont want whoever it is to get the traffic! People have asked me who it is too...with the intention of avoiding/unsubscribing, etc. I love your blog- keep up the good work:)

Nancy E said...

Your stuff is beautiful. I totally agree we sew for us and our family. We post because we like to share our stuff. What's the point of hiding something? I post my mistakes all the time. It was actually the reason I started my blog was to laugh at my mistakes. People that can't laugh at their mishaps and still take pride in them are sitting themselves up for no fun. So keep on sewing and let the ones that think their stuff is perfect keep thinking that

Emily Thompson said...

well said!! I don't only need to see perfection and I don't always share only perfect...

Renee said...

What that blogger did is ridiculous - I hope you didn't let it get you. I love what you make and it has inspired me to create also, which is what sewing blogging is all about.

AnniinBC said...

Awwww, that's so sad......but you said it so well.

Jackie Lee McClement said...

I didn't ever see where you declared yourself a professional seamstress or an expert on the subject so I'm rather confused as to why anyone would name you or the others in such an unkind way. Glad I missed her post as I would have been hard pressed not to remind her of what tact and good manners are!

csgomez79 said...

I love this! It reminded me of one of my first blog posts. I just re-read my post and now I'm tearing up. Thank you. Here's mine if you want to check it out http://dontworrysewhappy.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/who-are-you-sewing-for/.

Gabriele said...

I am a beginner.
And on the occasion of this post I want to send you and all those other sewing and quilting bloggers a huuuuuuge thank you.
Thank you for all your efforts, work and time you put into your blogs! It helps beginners like me so much.
And (not saying that I found anything like this here!!) if I found anything not 100% perfect or maybe mistakes in a sewing project: well, that also helps me. Because I see that nobody is perfect and that I do not have to stop sewing, but can improve - like others did ;)

So... don't waste to much of your precious time on such people. People like me appreciate your blog - keep going :)

Ads Inside Post