October 22, 2013

Purple Butterfly Costume

See my full disclosure policy here.

Bella has been telling me what she wanted to be for Halloween since probably about January. It changed from week to week and day to day (sometimes even hour to hour!), so when she told me she wanted to be a purple butterfly and it lasted over a month, I knew we had a costume. Then I finished it, and she said, "Mom, I decided I want to be a ladybug instead." After I stared at her in shock, she laughed and said, "Just kidding!" What a stinker.



I thought this costume would be quick and easy, but it turned into a pretty big project. I love the way the wings turned out though. And so does she, which is the important thing.


I made a purple tulle skirt. It is a layer of purple costume satin on the bottom, and then has six layers of tulle on top. I made it using a version of this tutorial from Melly Sews.

 I did a couple of searches for ideas for wings and ended up using this tutorial. It comes with the pattern piece for the wings, but the tutorial leaves a little to be desired. I figured it out though, and I am really happy with the results. They're lightweight, but they keep their shape really well.


And here she is, twirling happily in her skirt.

Now I hope we have nice weather, so that the whole thing isn't covered up by a heavy winter coat on Halloween...


4 comments:

Christine said...

it is beautiful! I love the pictures you took too! We talk about Halloween costumes all year as well. I am already planning next year's costumes. Maybe a Butterfly for my daughter?

Joy Candrian said...

Fabulous butterfly wings! What a fun costume.
http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

Stacia, the Homey Owl said...

So cute! My sister was a butterfly one year for Halloween. It was one of our favorites!

Josef said...

I thought this costume would be quick and easy, but it turned into a pretty ... butterflycostumegirls.blogspot.com

Ads Inside Post