September 23, 2013

Back to School Dress

See my full disclosure policy here.

I learned to sew back in high school. I was going to 
take a child development class as something to fill my schedule, but then my mom heard that as part of that class, you had to carry a fake baby around. She thought that was the dumbest thing ever {I wasn't too exited about it myself} and talked me into taking a sewing class. Anyway, that was before the days of PDF patterns everywhere, so I learned to sew with regular commercial patterns. Every once in a while, I revisit them.


This is Simplicity 5226. The pattern is for a much longer dress, but I cropped it to knee length. That seemed a little more appropriate for school.

One thing I do like about commercial patterns is the construction. They really pay attention to detail and if you put it together correctly, it is a really well constructed garment. That is the also problem with commercial patterns. Sometimes it is really hard to figure out what the heck you are supposed to do. And if you get stuck, there is not a friendly designer only an email away.

But it turned out really cute, and Bella likes it and wears it a lot, so I call that a success.

2 comments:

amy mayen said...

What a sweet dress! I like the collar, and buttons you chose!

JELLIBEEN said...

I really love this little red dress!
I do also agree with you on commercial patterns, some have clear instructions but most you struggle with! i do so love the PDF patterns we have available in our time now and emailing the designer is a great way of making cyber friends, sewing is great! Thanks for sharing.

Ads Inside Post