July 11, 2013

Skirting the Issue and Hospital Stays

See my full disclosure policy here.


I wanted to pop in and talk about one of my favorite series in blogland-Skirting the Issue with Simple Simon & Co. {Although I don't know if series is the best word for it.} Anyway, this year is the second year, and I am really glad it is back.

The basic idea is that you sew a skirt {or two or three or twenty} and donate it to girls in foster care in time for them to have something new to wear for back to school. Some friends of ours are foster parents, and in talking with them, I've learned that even though the state provides an allowance, it doesn't really provide these children with much in the way of nice clothes to wear. This is a small way you can make a big difference in a child's life.

This year it isn't just about skirts though. There are other things you can make-pillowcases, blankets, dolls and bereavement gowns. This is where it gets a little personal for me. Making something for someone who is in a hospital doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. I mean, they probably have things like blankets and pillowcases at home and if they wanted them, they'd bring them to the hospital, right? That's what I thought. Before. Then I experienced emergency hospital stays.  We live in a rural community, so when my son had health problems, there were several times he had to be transferred via life flight to a bigger hospital. I can tell you, when that happens, you are not thinking about pillows and blankets and other comfort items. You are throwing things into the suitcase like a crazy person, trying to get in the car as fast as you can so your poor little son won't be all alone in a big, scary hospital. I remember on one occasion, my daughter, who was only two at the time, had one shirt and about five pairs of pants. And when we were given a fleece blanket in the hospital, that simple gift, from someone that I could never thank, meant the world to me. Years later, we still have that blanket on our son's bed. 

So anyway, even if you can just make one thing to donate {either locally or mail it to the address in this post}, it will make a difference in someone's life.


4 comments:

Joolz said...

Thanks for this post! It's encouraging to know that small simple things matter. I'm still a beginning sewist, but I will try to make a skirt. Not sure who to give it to- I live in northern Virginia, but I. Sure once I make it ill figure it out. Having a sister in Law who was adopted from foster care,I appreciate you and the Liz's spreading the word!

Terra Sews said...

I'm glad you're making something! I'm sure it will be wonderful! There's an address to mail it to if you can't figure out anywhere to donate it. There is a flickr group to add your creation to if you'd like as well.

Simple Simon and Company said...

Terra,
You are wonderful. (Although I think I've told you that like 70 times now.) Thank you for sharing Skirting the Issue with your readers.

How scary to have your so transferred hospitals...I would have been freaking out!

We also received a fleece blanket at Ruth's last hospital visit...and we use it almost everyday. It's become a total favorite.

Thanks again...we do love you forever.
liZ

Terra Sews said...

liZ, you are amazing! I can't even imagine what it would be like to go through what you went through! And I'm glad you got a fleece blanket too!

Ads Inside Post