June 22, 2013

Shirt Pattern To Sundress

See my full disclosure policy here.

Hi everyone! Today I am going to share the tutorial for this sundress as part of the Summer Sundress Series at Melly Sews. If you're visiting from there for the first time, welcome! Thanks for stopping by.


I wanted to make myself a summer dress, and I thought this floral print was perfect for a shirt dress. The problem was, I didn't have a pattern, and I didn't really want to spend a lot of time drafting one. So I ended up improvising.

I started with a pattern I already had for a shirt, and made some simple changes to make it a dress with a gathered waist. I used a button down with a peter pan collar, but this would work with probably any button down shirt pattern. And yes, there is a dandelion theme at work here. I had a helper.

Click below for the rest of the tutorial.

First, cut out all the pieces for your shirt as directed on the pattern. You want a shirt that is somewhat loose fitting. This probably wouldn't work well with a fitted shirt. The exception is for the front and back pieces. Those pieces should have the waist line marked. (See below). Cut those pieces (and any lining or facing pieces) about one inch below the waist line mark. Make up the shirt according to the pattern directions.

Cut two rectangles of fabric. They should be at least the width of the bottom of the shirt, and as long as you want the dress to be. Make sure to account for seam allowance and hem. Sew the two pieces together up the side seams.

 If needed, gather the skirt to fit the width of the top. Sew the top to the skirt, right sides together.

To gather the waist, cut a length of 1/4 inch elastic about the size of your waist, plus extra to overlap. Sew the elastic to the dress at the waistline, stretching the elastic as you sew. This will gather the skirt at the waistline. Alternatively, you could use the seam allowance to form a casing and thread the elastic through the casing.

Ta-da! Your favorite shirt is now a dress.

Pair it with a cute belt and you're ready to go.

Check out all the other sun dress tutorials this month!

GoTo Sew Kitschy Coo Occasionally Crafty Naptime Crafters Sew Country Chick You and Mie Flamingo Toes Googiemama Delia Creates Melly Sews The Mother Huddle sewVery Alida Makes Sugar Bee Crafts Seamingly Smitten Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! Sumo's Sweet Stuff Craftiness is Not Optional Elegance & Elephants Sew A Straight Line Kojo Designs Caila Made Family Ever After Mama Says Sew Simple Simon & Co. Little Kids Grow A Couple of Craft Addicts Image Map

7 comments:

Shannon Phillips said...

Beautiful! I love the fabric you picked.

Nicole said...

What shirt pattern did you use for this dress? I love the collar and sleeve detail!

Melissa (Melly Sews) said...

Such a great dress, Terra! Thanks for participating.

Simple Simon and Company said...

This dress is freaking awesome! I love it. So feminine but totally wearable!
-liZ

Terra Sews said...

Nicole-I started with Simplicity 8738, but I changed the collar and added the sleeve cutouts.

mommagonemad said...

I'd also love to track down the shirt pattern, but I've not had any luck. Is it out of print?

Heidi Amber said...

Love it! The belt is perfect!
Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

Ads Inside Post