March 25, 2013

Tulip Cardigan Pattern and Tutorial

See my full disclosure policy here.

Schoolday Skirt was free because I helped test it.

When I made the Schoolday Skirt from Blank Slate Patterns, it turned out so cute that I wanted to make something to go with it. I came up with the Tulip Cardigan.  It's made similarly to the Boyfriend Style Cardigan I made for myself a little while ago.

She also needed a hair accessory to complete the look, so I made a headband from some of the rosettes I had leftover from my Valentine's Day wreath.

I drafted a pattern for the cardigan as I went, and I've made it available for download. I used a 2T shirt to make it because I wasn't really thinking ahead. I made it long enough for my little girl, so it's sized a little oddly. Somewhere between a long 2T or a skinny 3T. Take your pick!



You will need:
About 1/2 yard {for this size} knit fabric
Contrast knit fabric
Buttons
Thread, scissors, sewing machine, etc.

Download the pattern here. It's about a size 2T or small 3T. When cutting out the front and back pieces, you need to ADD 2.5 inches to the length. 



In addition to the pattern pieces, you will need to cut some additional pieces from your contrast fabric.

Collar: 3.5 inches by 32.25 inches (cut 1)
Sleeve Trim: 7.25 in x 3.25 in (cut 2)
Bottom Contrast: 4 in x 11.5 in (cut 1)
4 in x 5.75 in (cut 2)

You may also want to have a couple of scraps of interfacing to reinforce the button holes.

You can use any basic tee or basic top pattern to make this cardigan. Start by cutting out your pieces, then cut a v-neck into the front piece. Cut the front piece in half on the fold below the v. Then just measure the bottom edges for your contrast pieces. Make sure to cut them double the height you want them, plus seam allowances.

This is what your pieces should look like once they are all cut out.

First, fold the bottom contrast pieces in half, wrong sides together. Matching raw edges and right sides together, stitch the bottom contrast to the bottom edges of your front and back pieces (shown on left). Press the contrast down (shown on right).

With right sides together, stitch the front pieces to the back pieces at the shoulder seams.

 Stitch the sleeve contrast to the bottom edges of the sleeves the same way as above. Press the contrast down.

With right sides together, ease the sleeves into the arms of the cardigan. This is what it should look like when you're done.

Fold the pocket contrast in half and stitch it to the pocket. Fold the contrast up.

Fold the sides and bottom of the pockets under and pin to the cardigan where you want them. Remember to leave room for the seam allowances on the sides.

 Stitch around the pockets close to the edge on the sides and bottom.

Stitch the side seams and underarm seams in one long seam for each side.

Turn it right side out and this is what it should look like.

Fold the collar right sides together and stitch the ends closed, as pictured. You may want to make sure that it fits around the cardigan before completing this step.

Turn the collar right side out and pin to the bottom contrast on one side. If you are adding interfacing for the buttonholes, add it to the inside of the collar now.

Pin the collar all the way around the raw edges of the front of the cardigan, matching raw edges. Stitch in place.

Turn the collar to the front and press.

Mark where you want the button holes.

Sew in the button holes and sew on the buttons and you have a cute new cardigan!






5 comments:

Suzanne Winter said...

just printed out the pattern - I'm guessing that if I am sizing down to 18 months, I can probably leave off the extra length? I can't wait to make one - perfect for spring!!!

Terra Sews said...

You can probably leave off at least some of the length- maybe measure to be sure? I'd love to see pictures when you're done!

Cassandra said...

This is such a sweet cardigan. Perfect for my little miss as the weather starts to cool down here in Australia now :)
Thanks for sharing!

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

Hopping over from Sew Pretty Sew Free... This cardigan is absolutely adorable! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

heaven said...

Hi! I am a super amateur self-taught seamstress (got my machine only last year) and I have tried a lot of patterns off the internet, and this was by far the best looking cardigan I have made. The sleeves look gorgeous with the cardigan (I made it wider to look slightly bishop). It is just the right size and looks so fashionable. I never comment on people's blogs, but I just had to say thank you for this tutorial and pattern. It's going in my "favorites" folder!

Ads Inside Post