March 04, 2013

Flower Petal Shower Curtain

See my full disclosure policy here.

About a year ago, I pinned this Anthropologie shower curtain. I finally got around to making one that's similar for myself. It actually looks more like some curtains Anthropologie had, but I couldn't find a picture of them and they are no longer available on the website.


This was a time-consuming project, but I really love how it turned out. The petals are really simple to make and sew on, but I just love the way so many of them look together. I'm really glad it turned out well. I was thinking it was a really dumb idea about halfway into the project. I was about halfway through sewing them on and my husband asked if I was planning on sewing the petals on over the entire thing. No way. I would be still sewing them on six months from now.



So if you have a movie that you want to watch {or two or three}, this is a great project. And you'll be really happy when you're done. Not only will your fingers get some relief, you'll have an amazing new shower curtain that will make you smile every time you see it.


Another close-up of the petals, just because I think they're so pretty.


Here's the tutorial.


First, cut a piece of fabric long enough to reach from the shower curtain rod to the floor, plus extra for seam allowances top and bottom. I used fabric from a 54" bolt, and it was wide enough for my shower. If you are making one for a tub/shower, you will probably need a wider piece. You can either sew two pieces together, or alternatively, find some plain shower curtains and use those.

Hem the two long sides and the bottom.

Hem the top. It will need to be a wider hem.

Mark twelve spots for buttonholes along the top hem.

Sew in the button holes.

Cut out a LOT of circles. I actually used more fabric for the circles (about 3 yards of 54" fabric) than I did for the actual curtain.

Mark where you want the petals to start and stop. I just ironed two creases in my fabric.

Start sewing on the petals. I think it works best to outline the rectangle where you want the petals to go and then fill in. Also, make sure you pull your thread tight between petals so there aren't loops of thread in the back, but not so tight that it causes the fabric to bunch.

When you're done, the back will look something like this.

Here's the front. See how along the top, the petals are all pretty even? You can shake it a little to make them look a little more random, while still making a straight line on top.

And here it is all finished. I would recommend hand washing, since those petals will fray.


18 comments:

Kerry said...

What type of material would you suggest using for this?

Terra Sews said...

I used a light weight woven fabric. It was home decor width (54").

Chelsea@getyourcraptogether said...

Wow! This is so much work but turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing! I'd love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with patterns and templates to share are invited to link up! Check it out
http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

Ana Sullivan from The Lost Apron said...

This looks simple(though time consuming). I wish I would have seen this before I just bought one. I am visiting you from Sew- vivor. Mine is th Vintage Vogue dress.

Celeste said...

Oh my word- ironing creases to mark a line. I'm embarrassed that I've never thought of something so obvious. Thanks for the tip! I've been wanting a new shower curtain. Maybe something like this would do.

Kristin said...

Visiting from uCreate! This is absolutely gorgeous! Love it =)

Beckie @ Infarrantly Creative said...

OMG I love it! The curtain is super gorgeous! Great tutorial Terra! Thanks for sharing!

Laurie at Bird in Hand Vintage said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And I like the idea of the more random petals. Did you actually HAND-sew all of those on the curtain?!!

patternpile said...

I love this. It's gorgeous. I have a very plain curtain, and I have been trying to figure out what I should do with it... since I bought it. Beautiful. Thank you.

The Bean Sprout Notes said...

GORGEOUS!!! Thank you for sharing. Absolutely beautiful!!

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

Just beautiful!

Dana Perez said...

shower screens would also be a great fit on your wonderful bathroom!

Di.. said...

I am not a "sewer" by any means. but came across your curtain while shopping for mine....I cannot find ONE that compares to this! would you make me one..LOL.....Awesome job....

Terra Sews said...

Sorry, I don't sell what I make! This was such a time consuming project for me that I'd probably only make like a dollar an hour if I sold them! You are welcome to show this to someone who takes custom orders though.

juliet timothy said...

this would be great Idea for bedding too!

Rustic Honey said...

This looks great! I don't know if I would have the patience to cut all of those circles but the final product is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! :)

jholl said...

Did you say you're big the circles should be? Love the finishers project 😊

jholl said...

Did you say n how big to cut the circles? Love the finished product. Thanks for the tutorial 😊

Ads Inside Post