February 09, 2013

Rainbow Pinata

See my full disclosure policy here.

When I was growing up, my mom would usually make us pinatas for our birthday parties. I wanted to make one for my children to enjoy, so I looked around for inspiration. I ended up using this tutorial as a guide.
I liked the rainbow shape because it is fairly basic. This would be a fun pinata for a rainbow themed birthday party or for a St. Patrick's day party. It does take a while to make, but it is a lot less expensive than buying one, and you can do it while watching TV.

Here's how I made it.

I started by cutting out two rainbow shapes and some strips of cardboard for the top and bottom. Make sure you cut the strips so that they will bend. One direction of the cardboard will bend much more easily than the other.

Tape the bent strips along one of the rainbow pieces.

Do the same for the other rainbow, so that you have a 3D shape. I cut out two squares for the bottom openings. I taped one square to the pinata, but left the other one off so that I could add candy later.

I used white tissue paper to cover the entire thing.

Then I cut tissue paper in strips and attached it to the pinata one row at a time.

 Make sure to overlap the layers. When you're done, add the candy and then cover the other square of cardboard and tape it on.

That's it! This was a big hit, so even though it took a lot of work, I was really glad I made it.




No comments:

Ads Inside Post