January 23, 2013

Tiered Ruffle Leggings Tutorial

Here is the tutorial for the Tiered Ruffle Leggings that go with the Polka Dot Top.

I really like the look of the contrasting thread. It gives what would otherwise be a plain white legging a fun and feminine pop. The tiered layers have another benefit: the leggings are much warmer with the double layer of fabric.

Here is a shot of the complete outfit. I don't have a tutorial for the top, but there is some more information on it in the link at the top of the post.

She loves her new outfit. She was telling everyone today that she had new clothes.

Click below for the tutorial.


First, cut out a basic legging. I used a butterick pattern, but you could use any legging pattern, or draft your own. Cut out some strips of the same fabric. I cut out lots and lots to make sure I had enough. Make sure the stretch is along the long part of the strip.

Use a lettuce edge technique to ruffle the bottom of each of your strips. If you need help, go here. My strips were the entire width of my fabric so I could ruffle them all at once. I cut them to size later.

I cut my strips to the width of my legging piece and stitched them on one at a time. Make sure to use a stitch that stretches so that your legging will still stretch.

Here is one piece, layered up to the top. I stitched around the original piece to hold all the tiers down.

Trim the tiers to match the shape of the legging. The tiers on the left are trimmed. Repeat the above steps for the other legging piece.

With right sides together, stitch the inner leg seam.

Turn one leg right side out and insert into the other leg and stitch the crotch seam.

Then just make a casing, insert your elastic and you're done!




No comments: