January 04, 2013

Perfectly Pink Top

Several months ago, one of my friends asked me to help her with her daughter's blessing dress. We went shopping together and she showed me what she wanted and together we designed a dress for her little girl. I used a simplified version of that design to create this top for my daughter.

I made it hip length to pair with skinny jeans, but I think it would also be really cute as a tunic with leggings. Or a dress would be cute too. Lots of options.

 She's wearing it here with a gathered chiffon flower. I love the way pig tails look with a headband. And they also help keep the headband in place.

I've created a free pattern for this top. It's about a 5T, but it fits pretty loosely, so you might be able to go up or down a size. Please note all my patterns are hand drawn and some of the lines that should be straight aren't.

Ready to make your own? First, download the pattern here. This pattern is sized for stretch knits only.


You'll need to add extra length to the body piece when you cut. Here is what you should have after you cut out your pieces:

With right sides together, stitch the two upper front pieces along the neckline, using a stitch that stretches.

Turn right sides out and press. Do the same for the upper back pieces.

Run a gathering stitch along the tops of both of the body pieces. I moved my gathers so they would all be in the center, but that's a personal preference.

With right sides together, stitch the upper front to the gathered edge of one of the body pieces.

Turn up the upper front piece and press. Do the same for the upper back and back body pieces.

 Stitch front to back at shoulders.

Hem the bottoms of the sleeves.

Open up the shirt and match the rounded edge of the sleeve to the curved edge of the shirt with right sides together. Stitch the sleeve in place. Do the same for the other sleeve.

Match up the front and back of your shirt {so that it looks like it's inside out} and stitch the underarm seam and side seam all at once. Do the same for the other side. Turn it right side out and you have a shirt!

3 comments:

The F Girl said...

That colour is lovely, so soft and sweet. And she looks darling in it.

Have a great weekend!

Seamingly Smitten said...

What a beautiful color and this looks simple to make. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny
Seamingly Smitten
www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com

Wen from Whats Mummy Up To said...

I think this will be great for my nearly-5 year old. I love the pink, and have been looking for some knit projects to tackle. Thanks.