December 19, 2012

In Which I Depart from the Norm and Get Slightly Personal (And Review a Book)

So today, as stated in the title of this post, I am going to take a brief break from my usual subjects and review a book. It's called Living in the Light: How to Fight the Darkness of Depression and Anxiety. 

I'm doing this review for two reasons.
One: I know Lacey, and she is amazing. She is seriously one of the kindest people I know.
Two: I really liked the book. And I'm not saying that because I know her.

Here is the cover. 

Moving on to the review.

This is where I get a little personal. I have never mentioned this on my blog before, but my son has complex autism. In a nutshell, complex autism is one of two subgroups of autism. (The other is essential autism). Those with complex autism tend to have more cognitive impairments and poorer outcomes. I don't want to go into too much detail, both to protect his privacy, and because I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but a lot of the behaviors associated with that have been hard for me to deal with. Although I've never been diagnosed with depression, I've had times where I've felt I was on a downward slope towards it. I've found, through my ups and downs, that it's not my situation that changes how I feel-it's how I look at it. There are so many horrible things that go on in the world. I was really saddened by the tragedy in Connecticut and my heart went out to those who lost loved ones that day. While we definitely need to grieve when bad things happen, I think it can sometimes drag us down to where we can't see the good things in life. I like the perspective of Robbie Parker, a father of one of the victims. He expresses sorrow for the loss of his daughter, but he also chose to offer condolences to the family of the shooter.

Lacey's book talks a lot about the power of positive thinking, and how you can use it to change your outlook to overcome depression and anxiety. She speaks from experience; she herself suffered from depression and was able to overcome it. Included at the end of each chapter are Take Action segments-things you can do yourself. I think this book would be beneficial to anyone, not just those suffering from depression and anxiety. There are so many horrible things that go on in the world. I was really saddened by the tragedy in Connecticut and my heart went out to those who lost loved ones that day. While we definitely need to grieve when bad things happen, I think it can sometimes drag us down to where we can't see the good things in life. I like the perspective of Robbie Parker, a father of one of the victims. He expresses sorrow for the loss of his daughter, but he also chose to offer condolences to the family of the shooter.

You can find the book here or here.

Note: It is written from an LDS (Mormon) perspective.


3 comments:

West Family said...

Thanks so much for reviewing my book! Miss you guys!

Kerry said...

I noticed this is a pre-order book. When it comes out will it be available at Deseret Book?

West Family said...

Kerry,

My publishers are working on this right now. They tell me it should be available at Deseret Book. It may be cheaper on Amazon. Not sure. Thank you!

Lacey West