December 22, 2012

Fleece Mum Tutorial

I saw these flowers on this blog a really long time ago, and always wanted to make them. I've seen different versions of them around, and finally decided to make some myself. I used fleece instead of felt or felted wool sweaters. Fleece is much less expensive.


I added some buttons that I picked up a few months ago on Pick Your Plum. I made mine a lot smaller and with only one color per flower. I like the way the smaller petals look. Adding more petals gives it more fullness, but each flower took just a small amount of fleece. Just don't pull on the petals too much, or they'll pull right off the flower.


These would make cute and inexpensive last minute stocking stuffers.
Here's how I made mine.


I cut a piece of felt about 9 inches by 2.5 inches and a small circle. I had 1/4 yard of felt and just cut off strips. This way, you could get around 25 or so flowers per 1/4 yard of felt.

Fold it in half. I secured it with hot glue.

Cut a small fringe into your fleece. 

Start rolling it up at one end, securing with hot glue as you go.

This is what it looks like all rolled up.

Cover the bottom with your circle.

Fluff your flower a little and there you go.

Aren't they fun and cute? You can add buttons in the centers and secure them to a clip for a fun hair bow.



1 comment:

Pam said...

So Cute! Thanks for posting!