November 06, 2012

Gathered Chiffon Flowers

I came across these Ruffled Chiffon Flowers and thought they were really pretty. I went to recreate them, but I didn't refer to the tutorial. So, as usual {at least for me}, I ended up with something that only resembled my inspiration. But I really like how these turned out.

I used a no-fray chiffon, so I didn't have to worry about anything unravelling. The chiffon I used was 108 inches wide, which gave me a nice long strip of fabric. I only used one strip of fabric for each flower, instead of several the way the original tutorial did.

I attached my flower to a piece of elastic and ended up with an adorable headband. I love it on my adorable girl.

I ordered the fabric here. There are a couple of different color options. I really like this fabric because it is somewhat stiff, so it stands up really well. If you want more color options, you can use other chiffon knits. These are a few I made in other colors. The fabric was shorter, so the flower doesn't have as many layers, and it doesn't stand up as well, but they're still pretty.



Here is how I made mine.


First, cut the fabric into one long strip, about three inches wide. I folded the fabric so it would be more manageable.


Fold it in half and gather it with your machine along the raw edges.

Then I gathered it even more by hand.

Cut out a felt circle and glue one end of the chiffon to the circle.

Glue the rest of the chiffon to the circle a little at a time.

It will want to twist since it's gathered so tightly, so be sure to untwist it so that you're gluing down the raw edges rather than the folded edge.

Once it's all done, it should look something like this. It doesn't look like the ruffles are in a circle, but that is because they are so tightly gathered. 

You can open up the middle and glue a button down in the center. Then just glue it to a clip or headband or where ever you want.



2 comments:

Anna said...

How long is your strip of folded fabric? I love these. They will be so much fun to embellish for the holidays.

Terra said...

The length is the width of the fabric, so 108 inches for the really full pink one, and I'm not sure on the other ones. Maybe 60 inches?