November 30, 2012

Christmas Mantel

I used to really dislike my fireplace. I mean, I loved the idea of having a fireplace, and knowing that if the power went out in the winter, we weren't going to freeze to death, but I really didn't like the look of it. It was old and dated, and the brick was such an awful color and the mantel was just bare, boring wood. So I decided to give it a makeover. I whitewashed the brick. At first, I thought I had made a terrible mistake. It looked awful next to the white walls. But then I painted my walls a blue-gray color, and I fell in love with my fireplace.

So this year, I decorated it. And I really like it.

One of my favorite featured is the pom pom garland. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, and thought about scrapping it, but I'm glad I didn't.

Everything is handmade. The trees and star were from last year, and the glass hurricanes are from earlier this week. I'll show you how to make the rest soon, so stay tuned!




1 comment:

Kerry said...

Here is a request. Can you add "pin it" buttons to your blog so I can pin your ideas?