October 18, 2012

Ruffle Bottom Leggings

Last week, I posted about outfits I'd made for my girls. Now I'm starting the tutorials. First up are the ruffle bottom leggings.


I think these were the beginning of this outfit. I've had this gray dot fabric sitting around for awhile, waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. It was semi sheer and I only had a yard of it, so my options were limited. I think it works really well as leggings, since the sheerness doesn't matter with a skirt over them, and you really don't need a lot of fabric for leggings.

I added the ruffle at the bottom to tie them in with everything else. On of the perks of making your own clothes is that it's easier to embellish them before you start than it is to embellish something that has already been constructed.


First, cut out your leggings, and three strips of fabric for each leg. Mine were about double the width of the leg. I used a legging pattern that only had one piece for each leg.

Gather them up...

And pin them in rows along the bottom of each leg. Make sure you leave room at the bottom for a hem. Then just stitch them on. I used a zig zag stitch, since I still wanted the leggings to be able to stretch.

Then just sew them up as you would any other pair of leggings, making sure to line the ruffles up when you sew the leg seams. That's it. You're done!



1 comment:

Tricia said...

These are adorable Terra.