September 28, 2012

Striped Box Pleat Skirt

See my full disclosure policy here.

I've been wanting to try making a skirt with box pleats. I've seen several cute versions of them {see here and here for example}. Then I came across a remnant of navy and white striped fabric. For less than $2. Are you kidding me? So I snatched it up before anyone else could, and brought it home to become this skirt.


It features one big pleat in the front. One, because I like the look. Two, because I was too lazy to sit there and figure out the placement of multiple pleats.

For the back, I did two pleats. There's less bulk that way. At least, that was the idea.

 All you'll need is some fabric and basic sewing supplies. The amount of fabric you need depends on how deep you want your pleats to be. I think I had about a yard and a half of 60 inch wide fabric. You'll also need a zipper. The horror! I really don't like putting in zippers. I'm pretty sure this is the first project I've ever done for this blog that even uses one.


I wanted this skirt to be fitted at the top, so I cut a waistband using a Simplicity skirt pattern. Your waistband should have two pieces of the fabric and two lining pieces. Then I used the rest of the fabric to cut out a rectangle for the skit.


I found the center of my fabric and marked it. Then I brought the edges in to make the box pleat. I didn't take pictures of that, so refer to one of the above tutorials if you need help making the pleat. Just make sure the top of your skirt ends up the same width as one waistband piece.

Then do the same for the back, only with two pleats this time. Stitch across the tops of all the pleats to hold them in place.

With right sides together, sew ONE side seam of the skirt.

With right sides together, sew one side seam on the waistband. Then sew one side seam on the waistband lining.

Match the bottom of the waistband to the top of the skirt, right sides together. Stitch the waistband to the skirt.

Turn the waistband up and lay the lining on top of the waistband, right sides together. Stitch along the top of the waistband.

Flip the lining to the wrong side and press. Turn the bottom edge of the waistband under 1/4" and press. It should cover up the seam where the waistband is sewn to the skirt.

Stitch close to the folded edge, along the bottom of the waistband.

Stitch the other side of the skirt. I zig zagged the edges of the waistband to keep them from fraying.

Open up the raw edges and line up the zipper with the seam you just stitched. Pin it in place.

Stitch around the zipper using a zipper foot. Then just use a seam ripper to open up the seam in front of the zipper. You can also attach a hook and eye closure above the top of the zipper.

Hem it and it's finished!

150x200

Ads Inside Post