August 10, 2012

Easy Peasy Play Dress

See my full disclosure policy here.

I've had this striped fabric around for awhile. I knew I wanted to make something for one of my daughters with it, but I wasn't sure what. Then I saw this dress at Tea Collection {no longer available} and was inspired.



I made a few changes in design from the original, like lengthening the bodice, adding pockets, and not gathering the waist.

She loves this dress. I actually made it at the start of summer, and she's been wearing it ever since. I think the pockets are her favorite feature. This skirt will also be great when school starts. It is going to be a snap to add leggings and a long sleeved tee under it for the cooler weather.

Want to make your own? You'll need about a yard of fabric and basic sewing supplies.


For the bodice, I used the Simple Dolman Sleeve Top as a pattern. I cut the front and back pieces out at the same time, making sure to line the stripes up on my fabric.

I cut out half of the bodice, then folded it over to use as a pattern for the other half.

Then I used the bodice piece folded in half to measure the width of the skirt {cut on the fold}. I used a two way stretch knit so that I could vary the direction of the stripes.

I cut the skirt out in an A-line.

Next, cut out two squares for the pockets.

Fold each one in half and round the bottom edges if desired.

These are the pieces you should have cut out.

Cut a scoop out of the front bodice at the neck to make the neck lower in front than in back.

Cut out a strip of fabric with stripes going in the opposite direction.

Fold the strip in half right sides together. Sew it into a tube, then turn it right side out. Press with the seam down the middle back.


Hem the neckline and sleeves of the bodice.

Place the contrasting stripes down the center of the bodice, tucking the ends in.

Stitch all the way around.

Sew the bodice pieces together at shoulders and side seams.

Sew the skirt pieces together at the side seams.

Hem the skirt.

Turn the skirt right side out and the bodice wrong side out. Match the bottom of the bodice to the top of the skirt and sew the top to the bottom.

Turn the top right side out and press the seam.

To add the pockets, fold the top raw edge over and topstitch. Press the curved edges of the pockets under.

Position the pockets on the skirt and stitch in place.

Now your play dress is done.




1 comment:

Katie said...

Very cute. Thanks for all your easy to read instructions!

Ads Inside Post