August 15, 2012

Cascading Ruffle Pillow

This was a guest post over at Family Ever After for the Sewlebrity Crush Series.

Today I'm going to show you how to make this Cascading Ruffle Pillow. I wanted to make a pillow with some texture, and while looking around for inspiration, I came up with the idea to use C-shaped fabric to create the ruffles. I've used it before on clothing, and I thought it would be fun for a pillow.


You can use this pillow alone or with some other pillows for a fun effect.

Since hemming all those ruffles would take FOREVER, I recommend using a fabric that doesn't fray. You also want to use fabric that drapes well and has some stretch to it. A knit fabric is perfect. 

I used a total of two yards because I wanted lots and lots of ruffles. You can use more or less depending on how "full" you want your pillow to be.




Start by cutting two squares of fabric to fit your pillow form, adding 1/2 inch all the way around for seam allowances. My pillow form was 16 inches square, so I cut my fabric 17 inches square.

Cut a piece of yarn the length of your fabric {in my case, 17 inches} and curve it into a c-shape.

Cut out your fabric along the yarn, then cut around it to make a c-shaped piece of fabric. This is your template.

Now cut out a whole bunch of c-shaped pieces. I used around 40 for my pillow.

Pull the inside of the curve straight and sew it to one of the fabric squares close to the edge of the inside of the C. I started 1/2 inch from the edge of the square to leave room for seam allowances.

Keep sewing the Cs to your pillow. This will take awhile.

When you're done, it should look something like this:

This is what the back looks like.

Place right sides of the squares together and stitch around the square, leaving an opening to insert the pillow form. Clip your corners and trim seams.

Here it is turned right side out.

Insert the pillow form and slip stitch the opening closed.

Now you have a cascading ruffle pillow! 

Somewhat Simple

1 comment:

Shirley Tener said...

This is gorgeous thank you for the tutorial.