July 26, 2012

Set Sail Top

See my full disclosure policy here.

I seem to be on a nautical kick lately. First it was the nautical shorts, then the striped nautical tee, and now this one for me.


This is a simple dolman-sleeve style top, with a few extra details. The wooden buttons on one sleeve add a little accent. I used a two-way stretch knit, so I could cut the fabric for the cuffs and waistband vertically and  get the stripe to go the other direction.

Here it is without the bag, which I am now going to do a plug for. It's a Kaboo bag. I won it in a giveaway over at Tea Rose Home. I originally added red buttons to the sleeve of this shirt, but I took them off and replaced them with the wooden buttons, because I thought they had more of the nautical feel I was going for. But then I added the bag to get the red back.

All you need is a yard of knit fabric, five buttons, and regular sewing supplies.



Start by using a shirt that fits well as your template. Cut out half of the shirt. I made the sleeves longer and the body a little wider.

Fold it in half and cut out the other half.

Use that as a template to cut out the front of the shirt, cutting the neckline a little lower in the front.

Cut out a waistband. I measured around my hips where the shirt was going to sit to get the fit I wanted. Cut it twice as wide as you want it to be. It's shown here folded in half the long way.

Cut out two sleeve cuffs the same way as the waistband.

Cut out a piece of fabric to go under the buttons. You want it the length of the shoulder seam, plus a little extra at both ends to turn under. Make it twice as wide as you want it, plus seam allowance.

Here are all the pieces you should have.

Optional: I like to sew a thin line up the back of the shirt. Most professionally made dolman-type tees I've seen are made with two pieces in the back, and this is an easy way to get that look.

Here it it is on the right side with the seam down the back:

Finish the neck edges.

With right sides together, sew the front to the back at one shoulder seam.

Sew the piece for the buttons along the long edge, right sides together.

Turn right side out and press so that the seam is in the back. Press the raw edges inside.

Open up the shirt and sew the button piece to the shirt along the shoulder seam.

Here it is sewn all the way around. Go here if you want help with this step.

With right sides together, sew the other shoulder seam and the side seams.

Sew the cuffs into tubes inside out.

Fold the cuffs so that the seam is on the inside.

Insert the sleeve into one of the cuffs so that all the raw edges match. Sew the cuff to the sleeve through all three layers. Do the same for the other sleeve. Attach the waistband the same way.

Your shirt should now look like this:

Sew on the buttons and you're done! Unless you decide that you don't like the buttons, in which case you will have to cut them all off and try again.

3 comments:

Ana Lopes said...

Hi Terra,

Great tutorial, lovely new t-shirt !

Hugs from Portugal

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Charity said...

I love that! I particularly love the alternating stripe details and the addition of buttons. Great job!

lindzandrob said...

I love this top. Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial ! I can't wait to make one for myself! Love your blog!

Ads Inside Post