April 12, 2012

Striped Circle Skirt

At Project Run and Play this week, the theme is a pattern remix of Dana’s Circle Skirt Tutorial. I decided to play along and came up with the Striped Circle Skirt. Bella loves it. Several times today she said "Thanks for the new clothes Mommy!" I love that she still likes the clothes I make for her. I hope it lasts.


I thought about using a striped fabric, but since this skirt is cut on a circle and striped fabric is horizontal instead of circular, I didn't think I'd get the effect I wanted.  I was lying in bed when I inspiration hit.  That's usually where I come up with original ideas. I cut the pattern into strips, then cut out the fabric into curved strips and sewed it back together.  Voila! A striped circle skirt.


I wanted something to go with it, so I grabbed a white women's turtle neck from my to-be-upcycled stash, resized it for Bella, and added some ruffles at the neckline. I used a shirt I already had from Sears for my inspiration.


I love how the outfit came together. She's wearing it with some lace leggings that I won in a giveaway from A Pocket Full of Sunshine Boutique.


Click below for instructions.



First, I used the original tutorial to make my pattern.  I made mine 12 inches long so the stripes would be easy to make.

Then I drew three more circular lines-one at 3 inches from the top curve, one at 6 inches, and one at 9 inches. I numbered each of the sections for later reference.

Cut out the pattern pieces.

Lay them on your fabric the same as you would one big pattern piece.  I used two colors, so I put strips 1 and 3 on one color...

and strips 2 and 4 on the other color.

Cut them out, leaving a little extra for seam allowance on all the tops and bottoms, EXCEPT the top of piece 1 and the bottom of piece 4.

Open up pieces 1 and 2 and sew them all the way around, right sides together.


Your circle will look like this when you're finished {pictured here folded in half}.

Now add the next two pieces.  This is piece 3 with the right side out.  The edges that will be sewn together are matched up.

This is piece 3 flipped so the right side is together with piece 2.  Pin in place and sew.

Once you have all your pieces sewn together, continue with the original tutorial. It takes a little extra time, but I love the way the stripes look on the full skirt.

Instead of dying my elastic, I like to cover it with knit fabric {mainly because I have lots of knit fabric scraps in different colors and not a lot of dye colors}. I explain the technique for covering the elastic with fabric here and here.

I used a double layer of stitching to hem the bottom. 



17 comments:

Melissa said...

Love it - so cute!

Olyveoil said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I love learning new ways of creating goodies for my two granddaughters. This weekend I'll be sewing two of these.

This is totally awesome!

Debbie...(O:
><>

Alissa@CraftyEndeavor.com said...

This is so cute! I love the colors you picked.

Jenna said...

What a lucky girl!

Emily said...

OMG, I did this recently too! I love your color choice. I also use the pattern and cut it into wedges instead of rows.
Emily
domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

Lee said...

I'm very impressed with the circle stripes on your circle skirt!! And I LOVE how your top clearly fits so well. Kudos!

Anna said...

My daughter love it.
A hug.
Anna

Kat @ sewchibi.blogspot.com said...

I did something similar with my circle skirt too! Great minds think alike!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Love this! My daughter would have so much fun twirling in it! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

Did you see that Ruffles and Stuff just have your blog a big shout out on FB? This skirt is sooo darling. You've got me wanting to make one for my girls! Thanks!!!

Emily said...

Love the stripes. :) Glad she likes it too!

Dixie n Dottie said...

This is adorable! Looks comfortable too! Great job!

Sarah said...

This is adorable! I love the colors. I think I want to make one for me AND my daughter! I would love for you to share this at my link party
http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/04/share-it-link-party-7.html

p.s. I love your blog banner!

Jennifer said...

I love this! I love everything about it, especially the colors!

mrslauralynn said...

So simple! I always look at a picture of the finished product and think 'I could never do that!' but then I read the tutorial and realize - I can!! Thank you for explaining it in a way I understand :) now I can make one myself yay!!

cheapcraftymama said...

That is so adorable and looks fun to spin in. I don't have a daughter but might need to make one for me! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at "Pin It & Win It Wednesday" at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

neslininatölyesi.blogspot.com said...

so simple and cute, thanks for sharing,