February 04, 2012

Family Love Blocks

I've never been that much into the romance aspect of Valentine's Day. But I love the idea of a holiday to celebrate love.  My mom always gave my siblings and I presents on Valentine's Day because she said we were her little Valentines. So for me, Valentine's Day is about everyone I love. Hence these Love Blocks.



I wanted to coordinate with my chevron heart decoration, so I painted stripes on my blocks. I printed out a picture of my family and used that as my "o".



And here it is with the rest of my Valentine's Day decor.



Here's the tutorial.



I wanted to print the picture on tissue paper, because that seems to me to be the best way to Mod Podge a picture to something. I got the idea here. I found it works best if you tape all the edges of the tissue paper to your regular paper. Then just feed it through your printer as you would any other paper, making sure that the tissue paper is on the side that will be printed on.

To make my family picture into a circle, I copied it into Paint and resized it so it would be the same size as the rest of my letters. Then I drew a black circle around it and used the eraser to erase everything outside the circle. Here it is printed onto the tissue paper. For the l,v, and e, I just printed them on regular paper and cut them out.

I painted all my blocks white, then used painters tape to mark stripes on three blocks.


I painted the blocks pink.


Then I went over the plain white block with a layer of Mod Podge.


I placed my "O" right in the middle.  Make sure you place it where you want it.  The tissue paper will tear if you try to move it.  Pat down any bubbles-again, don't move it. I didn't go over it again with Mod Podge because I didn't want the ink to smear.


I took the tape off my striped blocks.


Then I applied the letters with Mod Podge. I also gave these blocks a top coat of Mod Podge.


And here they are. My whole family of Valentines.






1 comment:

Kristi said...

These are so adorable. Love those soft pink stripes. How beautiful!! Coordinates beautifully with your adorable chevron heart. Would be delighted for you to link this up to Mop It Up Mondays (going on through Friday): http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html
{hugs},
kristi

Ads Inside Post