January 09, 2012

Lace Legwarmers Tutorial


I love how these legwarmers turned out. The lace adds a nice vintage-y feel, and I love the burst of sunshine-y color the yellow rosette adds. I was originally inspired by this pin. Another plus is that with the elastic they stay up really well. 


And along with the headband, they complete my version of the Junebug Dress nicely. Not that Cita thinks so.  She just wanted to be done.


Click below for the tutorial. You can also see more pictures of the whole outfit here.


Start by using a pair of leggings {or tights} to measure how high you need to cut your fabric.  I made mine so they'd hit below the knee, but you could make them longer if you wanted.  Then I cut the width to double the width of the leggings front and back. You need two pieces of lining fabric and two pieces of lace.


Lay the lining on top of the lace, right sides together.  Stitch the top and bottom.


Turn right sides out and press.  Trim the edges if you need to.


Cut pieces of elastic long enough to go around the leggings you're using as a guide, with a little extra for the seam allowance.  I cut five pieces for each legwarmer, so a total of 10 pieces, using 1/8 inch elastic.


Line them up so that they are evenly placed on the wrong side of each legwarmer.  The elastic should be about half the length of the legwarmer.  Pin them in place.


Start by removing the pin for the first elastic.  Sew a few stitches to secure the elastic to the fabric.


Then stretch the elastic the length of the fabric and sew it in place.  I just used a regular stitch.


When you let go of the elastic, it will scrunch up, like this:


Keep going, sewing all the elastic pieces to your fabric.  It gets a little tricky because you want to make sure your fabric is flat where you're sewing elastic to it.  You'll need to stretch the fabric as you go.


Once you have all the elastic sewn on, it should look like this: 
{I like this look.  Next time I'm going to try it without the lace.}


Turn it so the right sides are together and sew.  This seam is the back of the leg warmers.


Turn it right side out and add embellishments if you care to.


Aren't they great?  And Cita didn't even try to take them off, which is pretty amazing for her.

Sumo's Sweet StuffDIY under $5

9 comments:

Tricia said...

These are too cute. I love them.

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!! So freaking adorable!!

Love your guts
mandi

Ajaire said...

Smart way to use non knit fabric for leg warmers! Love these!

* Nancy * said...

WOW!! I could really makes this?!? Love it, thanks for sharing...my little one is turning one this month, I need to make these! :)

Christy said...

Sooo cute!! Just discovered your blog n I love it! :-) would love if you would check out my blog as well and maybe even follow along :-) sewloveit.blogspot.com

Christy said...

Nearly forgot to say.. I'm your newest follower! :-)

Anne Maskell said...

These are adorable! I'm going to have to try them. I just finished my version of your ruffle flower scarf and blogged about it here,
http://www.amaskellantics.com/2012/01/pretty-scarf-for-beautiful-lady.html

I'm happy with it, but I still like yours better!

Michelle said...

I am dying over these. I need a baby girl now so I can dress her in this outfit! I am featuring this for sure!

norahkate said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I am in love! I just made a pair for my Rosie...she is running around playing ninjas with her brothers in them now, but looking adorable doing it!
I am going to make more in other colors (with lace and without) and these will be my gift for all the little girls in the family for Christmas.
Thanks again!