January 31, 2012

Chevron Heart

I was looking for some ideas for Valentine's day decor and came across this mantel.  I loved the idea of using a chevron pattern. {Formerly known as zig zag.  Why is it that chevron is so much trendier when it's called chevron? And why is it called that at all? I thought that was just a name of a gas station. Although now that I think about it, their logo does have a zig zag to it. But I digress.  And I'm not affiliated with Chevron. Just so you know.}



Anyway, I painted the above mentioned pattern onto a piece of wood and distressed it, then added some fabric rosettes in the shape of a heart.  I'm really liking the pink and gray color combination lately. I added some blue jars for a little contrast. 


I really love the way it turned out. I know they've been around awhile, but I still really like the look of these rolled fabric rosettes.


I wanted something to coordinate with it on my shelf, so I made these LOVE blocks.  Even my husband liked how they turned out. And that is saying something. Generally our decor styles don't coincide. 


Click below for the tutorial for the chevron heart.  I'll have the tutorial for the Love blocks up later this week.


First I painted a square piece of wood white.  I used a handy panel from Home Depot.  You can find them in the lumber yard.  My husband cut mine for me, but they'll usually cut it there if you ask nicely.

Then I made my chevron/zig zag pattern.  I had some fabric in my stash that I used.  I just ironed some freezer paper to it and traced one of the lines, top and bottom.  It worked out perfectly because the zig zag on the fabric was the same width as my painters tape.  If you don't have the stars align for you like this, you could just trace the bottom and then use tape along the line to give you the thickness you want.


I measured the width of my pattern so it would start and end where I wanted it to on the board.  I marked it by folding {on the left in the picture below} and cut it to size.

Then I cut out the pattern and put tape on the back.

I used painter's tape to tape along the bottom of the pattern.

And along the top.  Then I moved the pattern up so that the last row of tape was along the top.

I kept taping until I had tape all the way up.  I taped mine while my paint was still tacky so that when I was done and pulled the tape off, it would pull some paint off with it.

Then I painted over my tape with gray paint.

Once the paint was dry, I peeled off the tape. I let some of the gray paint come off with the tape to add to the distressed look.

Then I sanded it.

I added a layer of Mod Podge so that I didn't get any unwanted distressing.

Then I cut a heart out of cardstock.  I just free-handed it.

Then I rolled rosettes.  And rolled some more.  I glued them on with a hot glue gun, going around the edges first.

Then filling in the middle.

I placed the rosettes off the edge of the paper a little so that the paper wouldn't show on the right side.

Then when it was done, I just covered the back in glue and attached it to my board.

Linking here:

A Little Tipsy
Somewhat Simple

9 comments:

Karen said...

Love this! Chevron is my favorite and it looks fabulous with the rosettes on top!!

Abramyan Avenue said...

I LOVE this... I want to try it myself..I'm just so craft-challenged I don't know how it might turn out! I love the pink and grey together. It turned out really, really cute!
-april

Just Jaime said...

The chevron look great! Love the rosettes too!

Alissa@CraftyEndeavor.com said...

This is so cute! I wanna make one.

Pinned ;)

Cassidy said...

So in love with this! Gorgeous!! Love grey and pink combos

http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

Love the grey and white with the pink! And it is so cute next to the striped blocks! I'm featuring this tomorrow on A Little Tipsy!

spiceblogger said...

Pre-CIOUS!
Love it, Love it, Love it!

Thanks for the tutorial :)

Mimi said...

this is so pretty - I love love love the chevron with the rosette heart. I made a pink burlap pillow with a red rosette heart but wish I had thought of doing something like this! Thanks so much for sharing!!! It's beautiful!

kokoro handmade said...

Love this! ^_^

Ads Inside Post