December 16, 2011

Thumbprint Bookmark

It took me a little while to come up with a feasible idea for a teacher gift.  I wanted to do something that was unique but also useful.  After seeing some other great ideas on Pinterest, I came up with the idea for the thumbprint bookmark.

I got idea for the fingerprint here. I combined it with the idea for the bookmark here. Instead of using clay for the thumbprint, I used this cornstarch clay recipe. It didn't turn out quite as smooth as the pictures, but it works.


I wrote my children's names and the year on the back of the clay with a sharpie.  Now their teachers can remember them while they enjoy a good novel.  Like Pride and Prejudice.


I'm going to package them with some chocolate, because let's be honest.  Chocolate makes everything better.  I'll also include a poem.  Are you ready for this? Prepare to be amazed.

Here is my thumbprint
Tiny and small
To keep in your books
Winter, spring, summer and fall.

Thanks for teaching what I need to know
And helping me to learn and grow.

Impressive, right?  At least I'll be sure the teacher knows what the blob charm on the end is.


 Click below for the tutorial.



First, start by making or buying your clay.  I used this cornstarch clay recipe.  It has a texture similar to salt dough, but a nice, bright white color.



Roll the clay into small balls.  I learned it's better to work a few balls at a time {not like the picture}.  Otherwise the clay dries out and cracks when you make the thumbprint.


Make the thumbprint and use a pin to make a hole.  Make sure it's large enough for the jump ring or whatever you use to fit through. Let the clay harden.  Mine took several days.  Once it's hard, write your child's name and the date on the back with a sharpie.


Cut your ribbon to the size you want. Heat seal both ends, then use a ribbon clamp on one end.


Add several rings to the ribbon clamp.


Then attach the clay thumbprint.  I used crochet thread through the hole in my clay.  I was afraid that working a jump ring into the hole might be too rough and cause the clay to crack.


Ta da! A gift that is also a keepsake.



4 comments:

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

As a former teacher who received some "interesting" gifts, II would love if you stopped over to link up at Get Schooled Saturday a Too Much Time on my Hands!

http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/12/get-schooled-saturday-3.html have to say I really like this one! It is useful, memorable, and cute!

Jamie said...

Cute!

Amy said...

Such a sweet, personal gift! As a former teacher, I would have enjoyed receiving those...a good way to help remember those special students and how young they once were {my "babies" are graduating college this year!} I also think it'd make a wonderful grandparent gift. Would you share here?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/shine-on-fridays-6-and-some-fabulous.html

Vicky said...

This is adorable and so thoughtful. I also am a former teacher and would have enjoyed something like this. So creative and no calories unlike all the baked goods I always got. I am a new follower visiting from Sumo's Sweet Stuff. Vicky from Mess For Less

Ads Inside Post