December 27, 2011

J.Crew Knock-off

I'm going to let you in on a little secret about this top.  Usually I find inspiration on the internet or sometimes I come up with ideas as I'm falling asleep at night. The point is, before I start a project, I have some idea of what I want to do.  Not so with this one.  The inspiration for this shirt: the weather forecast.  It was supposed to be a sunny warm day. So I hurried to make something so that Bella and I could take advantage of an unexpectedly warm day for a photo shoot.


I hopped on the internet to see if I could find some quick inspiration.  I found this top from J.Crew. It was cute, and, more importantly, I had some grey striped fabric already, left over from these ruffle dresses.



I was in a hurry {had to make it before the sun went down!} so I skipped the detail on the hem.  I love it paired with skinny jeans and boots.  So does Bella.  It's usually the first shirt she grabs when laundry is done.


Instead of one flower, I used five. The buttons in the centers of the flowers came from a thrifted shirt, and the flowers were scraps.  I made them using the same method as I did for the fall wreath flowers.


Click below for a quick tutorial.

First I grabbed a shirt that fits well and used it as a template.  I cut the bottom longer and wider so it would fit as a tunic.

I cut out half of the tunic body, then folded it over and used that as the pattern for the other half.  That way I could be sure it would be symmetrical.


I cut the neck a little lower in the front.


I stuffed the shirt into the sleeves and used that as a pattern for my sleeves.


Stitch the shoulders and side seams.


Stitch the sleeve seam. Finish the sleeve ends. It's much easier to do it before you attach the sleeves to the shirt. You can also finish the collar and hem the shirt.


Turn the sleeve right side out and insert it into the arm hole.  The body of the shirt should be inside out, so that right sides are together.  Use a stitch that stretches to stitch the sleeve to the arm hole.


Then just hand sew on the flowers and you're done.  A tip: if you use this tutorial, either use a fabric that won't fray or fray check the raw edges.  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that the edges of the flowers will fray in the wash.




1 comment:

Kerry said...

I just love those brown eyes. She looks cute in that outfit. I can see why it's her favorite.

Ads Inside Post