December 08, 2011

Frayed Scarf Tutorial

I have a problem.  I like scarves.  That's not the problem.  The problem is I am too cheap to buy them. So I make them.  For example: here and here.


But I've been thinking about making a more basic scarf, and finally tackled the project because it went so well with the buttons on the Boyfriend Cardigan.


Those frayed ends took a lot longer than I expected.  So if you're like me and have an excessive amount of cheapness frugality, and also chores piling up lots of free time, give this scarf a go.  Mine cost me a total of $1.50 to make. And I'm not sure how much time. Next time I'll throw in a movie.


You know the drill-click below for the tutorial.



All you need is a yard of fabric.  Make sure that it's a loosely woven cotton {or similar} fabric.  I found mine on the bargain shelf.  If it's fraying a lot on the bolt, that's a good sign.



Cut your fabric in half lengthwise, right down the fold line. 


Sew it together so you have one long piece.


Sew a straight line across both ends of your fabric. The higher you sew it, the longer your frayed ends will be {and the more time this project will take you}.  Make sure to use a thread color that matches your fabric so it's less noticeable.


Fold your fabric in half lengthwise with right sides together.  Stitch the open end closed, ONLY between your  stitching lines.  The part that will be frayed should be left open.


Turn it right side out.


Now for the fun part.  Pull out all the threads of the fabric that are running horizontally.  At first it will be tricky because the threads won't run the full length of the fabric.  Unless you can cut a perfectly straight line. Or tear your fabric. Mine wouldn't tear.


I found using a pin to loosen the top thread was helpful.  Once you get the hang of it, it starts going faster less slowly.


Once you've pulled out all your threads down to the stitching it should look like the above picture.  Unless you can sew a perfectly straight line {I can't}, you won't get all the way down to the thread in some places.  You can snip the fabric to the thread line, being careful not to cut through the thread, so that you can continue unraveling your fabric.


Then group your threads and tie them in knots. Be happy that you've just saved yourself some cash and made a cute scarf at the same time.





DIY under $5

2 comments:

Ellie said...

That is one cute scarf! I need to make one--thanks for the how-to!

Just Jaime said...

I was just wondering how to do this! Looks great!

Ads Inside Post