October 11, 2011

Swirly Circle Lamp

What do you get when you mix a thrifted bedsheet and an old lampshade? A much better lampshade of course! 


I picked up this lampshade at a garage sale for $1. The white flat sheet was $1.99 at my local thrift store. After a lot of work, they came together to make a lampshade that I love.  I also spray painted a base I already had {no before pic-sorry!} with an oil-rubbed bronze spay paint.  The lampshade is inspired by one I found here.


I was hoping the red would show through when the light was on and give it a nice rosy glow, and it did! I love the way the swirly circles look with the light on and the light off.


This project took a lot of time, but I'm happy with the results.

Click below for the tutorial.


Start by loosely covering your shade with some white fabric.  You just want to see how much you'll need to cover the shade; don't attach it yet.  I used a white sheet, but any white cotton fabric should work.


Tear lots and lots of long strips from your fabric. They should be about 1 inch wide and about three to four feet long.  You want them all roughly the same length so that your swirled circles will be about the same size.


Iron each strip in half lengthwise.  {I know, I need a new ironing board cover.}


I'm sure there are lots of ways to attach the circles, but this went the fastest for me.  Roll them up into a tight circle.


Lay them down and let them unroll a little.


Flip them over so that the folded edge is facing up.  Quickly apply hot glue to the folded edges.  You don't have to get everything, just enough that it sticks to the white fabric that you wrapped your lamp with.  I had to go back and fix some circles that weren't attached all the way.


Once you have glue on the folded edges, quickly flip it over onto the fabric and press lightly with the palm of your hand so that it sticks.


Keep going until you have almost all of the base covered, then attach it to your lampshade.


I just wrapped it around and secured it with hot glue.


Then you can add a few more circles to cover the seam in the back.


This takes forever, but it also saves a bunch of moola.  I recommend turning on a movie while you make it. Or two. Or maybe three. Okay, probably not that many.







12 comments:

bailey k. said...

wow, this looks amazing! its soooo pretty. i love the intricacy of each little swirly circle. great job, this is wonderful!

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

LuciRae said...

I love this! I am thinking of making a rossette lamp shade this week for the fabric contest at sew dang cute, but now I don't think I could ever make mine as cute as yours:)

Carmen said...

Okay, now you got me looking at my lampshades to see which one will get a make over...this is really cute...and so totally worth it, time wise. Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-rock-5.html. Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

Remember...YOU ROCK!!

Carmen @ RoCa and Company
www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

Ladybird Ln said...

I love this lamp shade, I think it is great! I am always so surprised at the results of SYTYC, I think you should still be in.

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Candice said...

I love this lamp shade! I really believe you should be in the SYTYC. I think your blog is great!
Candice

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

This is gorgeous! I love rosettes on anything. So great!
Lina
Fancy Frugal Life

Rachel said...

I just found your blog from Pinterest and I LOVE it!! Thank you for sharing all these great ideas!

Rachel
the brown abode

Mego said...

Totally cute!!! I've seen a similar idea using fake flowers, but i like this one much better!!! Will definitely be trying this out.

sashkonela said...

Wow! What an idea! What a blog! It`s good that your mama said "sew" (or is it you?):)

Your newest follower,
Alesandra

http://creactiveallaround.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

I love this lampshade, it's genius and worked perfect for my daughter's room. I followed your tutorial to make my own and posted on my blog(with a link back to you of course!) I'm following you on bloglovin.
Thanks, Laura @ http://overtheappletree.blogspot.com

Teresa Becker said...

Just commenced my lamp makeover and found your tutorial to be exceptionally helpful. Of course I thought I have everything, but apparently, I threw all the old white sheets away. I'll be getting it this week. The good news is my son had an old lamp that I'm giving a new base color. I cannot wait to see it finished. I've enjoyed seeing your work and creations!

lyn kahl daffadeals said...

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME FOLLOWING YOU AND I LOVE EVERY PROJECT!! I HAVE LUPUS AND QUIT MAKING PRETTY LAMPSHADES ECT FOR 5 YEARS AND YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME TO TRY AGAIN...THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU FOR HAVING THE INSPIRATION I NEEDED..MIMI