October 13, 2011

Fall String Art

I remember my brothers making string art with their names when they were in cub scouts.  I thought it looked so cool. Not for the first time, I thought boys got to do cooler things than girls. Not anymore. Ha!
I really liked this version I found on Pinterest, and it ended up being the inspiration for mine.


I distressed the board and stained it in my favorite dark walnut stain, then pounded away.  I tell you what, its a new form of therapy.  Even better than kneading bread. 



Want your own?  I'll show you how after the jump.



First start by distressing your piece of wood.  I just banged away with both sides of the hammer.  This was necessary for me. It made the inevitable bangs on the board when I missed the nail blend in better.


Give it a couple coats of stain.


I did a search and found some leaf stencils online. I enlarged them and printed them, then cut them out.  Position them on your board however you want.


Using a pen with a fine {aka sharp} point, trace around the leaf on your board.


I used a pine board, so it left a small indentation where I traced it.


For my nails, I used 1" panel board nails.  I chose some painted a dark brown so it would blend with my board better.


Pound the nails in following the lines you traced.  You want them close together, but not so close you can't fit your string between them.  Try to pound them in so that they're all the same height.  Leave some room to wrap the string around them several times.


Tie your string in a knot on one of the nails.


Then wrap away.  Basically you're coloring the center with your strings, so stay inside the lines! Just go back and forth and up and down until you have your leaf filled in as much as you want.


Then just tie it off where you started and trim the ends.


Lovely! I love decorations that last an entire season.



8 comments:

odetoinspiration said...

Oh wow!! That's so neat and creative!! Love it!! Pinning it:D

Janny said...

This is awesome! It would be a great craft for kids as well. Thanks

Emily said...

I really like this leaf board, wow!! It was great competing with you in SYTYC as well!

the 2 muses said...

Love this so much! Pinning it and following you!

J's mom said...

Love it! Please post this, and anything else you may have,in my link party at
http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Peggy

Charisa said...

This is fantastic! So creative!

Amy said...

Ooooh! Those are SO fun! And the finished project looks great! My son would love to do something like that! Would you share it here?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/csh-thursday-link-party.html

Jamie said...

I love it. I would love for you to stop by and link up your string art to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up. I also have a link party for Halloween projects only at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/09/trick-or-treat-link-party.html that I would love for you to link up to as well.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Ads Inside Post