September 27, 2011

Turquoise Knot Necklace


I came across this necklace on pinterest and fell in love.  When I clicked on the link, it took me to Karma Loop, and said that it was out of stock. Not to worry, I'll just make my own. {Okay, who am I kidding? I probably would have been to cheap to buy it anyway.}



Mine didn't turn out exactly like the original, but I'm still happy with the results.  And my children are happy with all the leftover beads. Since it was out of stock, I have no idea what the price was to compare, but I can almost guarantee that it was more than my grand total of $3.



I love the color, I love the simplicity, I just love this necklace.


Click below for the tutorial.

First off, let me give you a small disclaimer.  I am not an expert on making jewelry.  I'm sure there is a better way to do this. That said, here is how I made this necklace.

I used regular thread to string my beads.  I wanted something flexible and not too thick.  I double threaded my needle, then tied a knot at the ends, so each bead strand had a total of four threads.  Make sure you leave lots of room at both ends.  You want a lot of thread to work with.  I only left about three inches on one end, which was not quite enough.

I made a total of 16 strands of beads, shown here in two groups of eight.  I found the quickest way to string them was to pour a pile of beads in one hand and poke them onto the needle.


Tie each group of eight together at one end.


Even them out so that they are all the same length {you can see I had to pull some beads off some of the strands} and tie a knot at the other end.


You should now have two big strands of beads with knots at both ends.


Tie them in a sailor's knot.  I used the picture here. Scroll down until you see the Carrick Bend knot.  There is a video you can watch; I just enlarged the picture and looked at that. You'll have to play with your strands to get the knot in the middle and make all the strands even.


Then you can just kind of twist the ends together.  Mine didn't stay even, darn it.


Then I tied the strands in a knot and threaded it through hardware and tied that in knots again.  Trim your threads and secure with glue. I used a LOT of hot glue to smash all the ends together. See? There is probably a better way to do that.  But it works for me and I love the chunky necklace.




29 comments:

Annastacia said...

I love this necklace!

Jill said...

I'm so glad this was yours! I loved it and voted for it :) Well done!!!

Michelle said...

It turned out lovely and I'm totally impressed that you had the patience to sting all those beads! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Jill @ Junky Vagabond said...

This is beautiful! I'll probably attempt one myself...hope it turns out half as good!

Me said...

So cute, love the idea!

christina #4635 said...

This is AWESOME!! Do you know how long the threading of the beads took? This looks like a great MOPs craft, but we only have about 2 hrs to complete a project.

Terra said...

I'm not sure exactly how long it took, but I did it over a couple of nights watching TV, so I'm pretty sure it would take you more than 2 hours. You could do fewer strands with larger beads in a shorter amount of time.

Claudia M. said...

Beautiful necklace! This is now my weekend project :) How long were your bead strings? I am having trouble gauging - thank you!!

Terra said...

My bead strings were about 18 inches long each. Good luck with yours!

Lisa Hickman said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing....
Where did you get the beads?

campclem.com said...

Gah! I like yours even better than the original! Lovely!!

Mrs. Pruitt said...

Hi! We're these seed beads? If so, what size? Beautiful!!!

Terra said...

I found the beads at Walmart. I'm not sure what size they were, because I don't have the package anymore. I think they were just the smallest size there.

Jenny said...

Beautiful! Something like this might make the stringing process quicker/easier. http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/beadspinner.html

Stasha Waldock said...

I love this! I am going to (attempt to) make these for my bridesmaids - how many beads did you buy? I've never beaded before...so I'll take all the tips I can get :)

Thanks!

Rachel on a Sunday Afternoon said...

LOVE!!! THIS IS WHAT i WILL BE DOING DURING MY VACATION!!

Rachel
www.onasundayafternoon.com

DolphinChick said...

This is beautiful! I'll be looking for the beads also...how many packages approximately would I need? Thanks again!

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate said...

I love this necklace! It's so pretty and I like it better than the original!

Kerry said...

Terra said she bought 2 pkgs. from Walmart. This was a year ago so hopefully they still carry them.

Confident Expectation said...

I make quite a bit of jewelry as well and I think you can accomplish the sturdier form (if you prefer, i like the loose relaxed as well) by using the fishing line-type string instead of just thread. That also will give a crisp twist as well if you are aiming for that with the ends of the strings of beads past the knot. This is a beautiful necklace!

Jenn B. said...

super cute! i'm definitely going to try to make this, maybe for Christmas gifts. yay! thanks for a great tutorial.

E.Arts said...

The cost of the original necklace was $14.99

darlene said...

Your bracelet is gorgeous - I love it! Your instructions are great. I'm new to making jewelry so I appreciated your easy tutorial.

http://cinnamonpink.typepad.com/

marcie said...

I would probably use fishing line if I were to make this

kmemho said...

I love your blog entry. I made this necklace...Here's a picture of it on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151765930699216&set=a.126738004215.101392.126735859215&type=3&theater
One tip - to keep the strands on the sides permanently twisted: 1) take one half (it was knotted on the end earlier) twist the bunch clockwise. Hold it so it doesn't come undone 2) do the same to the second half 3) still holding on so that they don't unwind, now twist these two bunches COUNTER clockwise. 4) put an overhand knot in all of the strands at the end. This should stay twisted once you let go.

Terra Sews said...

Thanks for the tip! I love how yours turned out.

Ashley Klitzke said...

So, I'm sad. I ordered necklaces JUST like these from a person and needless to say they arrived to me today and we're too short, not the color I wanted and one was even broken. I was really sad. I'm getting a refund and all that jazz but now I'm looking for an alternative. I'm hoping I can now make these myself. I'm not all that crafty with jewelry but I'm hoping I can make it work. Does anyone know, can you use fishing line? Like actual fishing line? It seems it might be sturdier. I'm going to go look at our Walmart for beads and hope they have the right colors. OTherwise I'll go to Hobby Lobby. Any tips for me? What kind of clasps and hardware did you use? SOrry for so many questions, I wasn't going to be making these myself but now I don't exactly have a choice.

wendyp said...

This is gorgeous! I can't wait to try making one!

Richard Jain said...

So beautiful necklace. I can't stop myself loving it. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw. Thanks for posting this informative article.
You can also visit Turquoise Buffalo, Sedona Arizona-based Native American art gallery.