September 19, 2011

Octagon End Table

I found this end table at a thrift store a couple of months ago and loved the octagon shape. That, and the fact that it was only $4.99. So I grabbed it, not knowing what I was going to do with it. So it sat. And sat. Then I got around to sanding it. And it sat some more. Enter So You Think You're Crafty. Suddenly, motivation to get it done!


I stained the top and painted the bottom, then used a glaze to make it look antique instead of just old.


Once it was finished, I took it out to the side of a country road at sunset after a rainy day to get some pictures.  {And probably made every passing car think I was nuts.}


I love the detail on the front doors.  That was one of the reasons I knew this end table had potential when I saw it.  Aren't thrift stores great? And I remember being so embarrassed going to them when I was little. Times change.

I'm not going to do a full tutorial, but here are some tips for refinishing furniture:

1. Sand, sand, sand, especially if you are going to be staining.  Stain isn't going to cover up flaws as well as paint will.  Also, any color from previous stain or paint will show through.  Make sure to sand in the direction of the wood grain.

2.  For highly detailed areas, cheat-use paint.  It is ridiculously hard to get those areas sanded well, and paint will cover up what you can't get off much better than stain.

3.  For the glaze, I mixed the same stain I used for the top of the table with Behr Faux Glaze.  This made the glaze thinner than I am used to working with.  I usually wipe with a damp cloth, but this time I used a damp cloth followed by a dry cloth.  Make sure to wipe in the direction of the wood.

Happy furniture refinishing!

7 comments:

Fifi said...

This came out absolutely gorgeous!! I love the color!

I remember my grandmother having a set of these side tables!! I wish she still had them, because I'd buy them from her! lol!

Kerry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie said...

No way?! What an awesome $5 find! I love how you refinished it! The glaze really makes those details pop!!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Your redo is making me look at the one my neighbor has in her yard sale. Maybe in turquoise with smoky glaze.....

Carole @ Blue Chateau Interiors said...

What a great transformation! Looks so much better.

I inherited a table similar to that (minus the fancy doors). I spray-painted it, then added a Baroque stencil. Gave it a completely new life.

Isn't it amazing what a bit of paint can do?

Visiting from Today's Creative Blog. Following you now. :)

Laura@Corner House said...

Good Work. This is so pretty. I featured it on my blog today.

Jordan McCollum said...

Looks great!

Ads Inside Post