September 06, 2011

Fall Cardigan

I've been loving the cardigan worn with a belt look that is all over these days.  The problem is, I didn't have a lightweight cardigan I could wear for fall. Okay, I didn't have any cardigans. I know, what is wrong with me?
So I made one.



It can be worn with or with out a belt.


It's super comfortable and I love how quickly it came together.   


Click below for instructions on making your own!

Make sure you use a knit fabric for this project.
First, using a shirt that fits loosely for a pattern, cut out your pieces just like you would any shirt.  If you need help, there are some great tips here.  Cut a small scoop out of the back for the neckline, but leave the front neckline flat.  In the picture, the back piece is on top.


And here are the sleeves.  I made mine 3/4 length, but you can make them any length you want.


Cut the front piece in half the long way.


Finish the raw edge of the back neckline.


With right sides together, pin the front half to the back at the shoulder seams.


Now take the extra width and fold it over so that you have three layers at your shoulder seam.  Sew through all layers.  Do the same on the other side.  Sew the side seams {not shown}.


Fold a sleeve in half right sides together and stitch the under arm seam. Repeat with the other sleeve.


Turn the sleeve right side out.  Insert it into the arm hole of the body so the right sides are together and stitch around your arm hole.  Make sure that you use a stitch that will allow for stretch.  Some machines has a stitch setting especially for knits.  A zig zag stitch will work well also.


Finish your sleeve and bottom hems.  The fabric folds under at the front, so I didn't finish those edges.  That's it!








4 comments:

~Rasz~ said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial for the cardigan. I need to make some new fall clothes and could use all the inspiration (and instructions) I can get!!!! You are so creative.

Michelle said...

Love the look! I need a belt to go with my cardis! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Sachiko said...

You look so pretty in those pictures!

Amanda @ Ninth Street Notions said...

Great tutorial! It turned out really cute. I so need to get on making myself some new cardigans because I wear the two I have non-stop.

Ads Inside Post