June 15, 2011

Red, White, and Burlap

I've been meaning to take down my Easter decor for awhile, but just never got around to it.  Then I realized it was June, and I should probably get going if I intended to decorate for Independence Day.

But now that the Easter decor is gone, what to make for the 4th of July? Hmm, a dilemma.  


Then I came up with the idea for this flag.  I'm not exactly sure how, but the point is that I like it.  And it turned out how I imagined it, which is not always the case.


I don't think my proportions are correct with the blue vs. the stripes, but at least I got the number of stripes right. So at least there are thirteen original colonies.



Click below for the tutorial.
I used about 3/4 yard of burlap to fill a 16x20 frame.

First, I cut my burlap almost in half (one half was bigger than the other) and painted the smaller half red.  I just used acrylic paint.  I didn't try to hard to get the paint on evenly because I'm lazy because I figured it wouldn't show with the ruffling anyway.


I cut a rectangle out of the unpainted part and drew a star on some freezer paper.  I cut it out and ironed it to the burlap and then painted the rest of it blue.  


I cut the rest of the burlap into strips.  I also did the same for the red burlap.


I covered the back of the frame with fabric and hot glued the burlap strips to the fabric, ruffling it as I went.  My original idea was to do a gathering stitch along the top, but that didn't work out as well as I wanted.  It didn't gather very easily, and it was fraying the burlap to bits as I went.


Once I got all the ruffles on, I glued the star rectangle over the top.


Then I put it in my frame {minus the glass}. Ta da! Happy 4th of July.





21 comments:

telisa@sugartotdesigns said...

love this!! i even love that you have the right amount of stripes:)

Erin @ In Between Laundry said...

I really, really like this! Gorgeous and so creative!

Mariah said...

Very cute idea, I think it turned out lovely!

Jill said...

So I was totally relating to what you wrote and thinking, "Yay for me, I got my Easter decor down this week too." And then I looked up and realized I still have "Happy Easter" eggs hanging in my entry way. Oops :)
LOVE your flag art!!!!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a cute project!!

I shared it on my TT&J facebook page and linked to you :)

xoxo
Jen

Shannon said...

I love your burlap framed flag! What a cute, cute idea. I've never seen anything like it. You're an original!

~Rasz~ said...

Hi! First off, I found you through Ucreate and I am so glad I did! Great job on the 4th of July decor! Your site and tutorials are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing so much!

Modern Wivelyhood said...

I'm loving this! So creative and the ruffles are perfect! I featured you on my Friday 5!
www.modernwivelyhood.blogspot.com

Sachiko said...

This is such a fun idea! Thank you for sharing!

Chef in Training said...

oh my gosh! this is so cute! What a great idea and you did a fabulous job! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Brooke said...

That is the cutest ever!!!! I love it!!

Kara said...

This is just amazing! It turned out so cute and I totally love it!

Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum said...

I really like this flag. I like the rustic quality it has. Thanks for sharing this great how-to!

jeremy and morgan said...

i love this! i love the antique look and feeling of it! good invention!

AmieAnn said...

This is awesome! I think this is the cutest interpretation of a burlap flag that I have seen .. Love it! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/06/pink-hippo-party-34.html

Trina said...

This came out soooo cute. This makes me want to decorate. The frame works great with this project.

La-Dee-da crafter said...

Oh so cute!!!! I love burlap anything and this just makes me happy. I saw you over at CSI project and I think you will be at the top for sure!!!
ladeedacreations.com
following you now

AmieAnn said...

I love this! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share next week!
I am your newest follower!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Super cute! I love that you put it in the frame. Fabulous job!

Carissa said...

What an adorable idea! I love the rustic, country chic look. Thanks for sharing how you made it, too.

gannewaz said...

This is cute, BUT, its not the Texas flag, its the Chile flag. In the Texas flag, the blue goes all the way down the left side of the flag, and the star in the middle. Good effort though.

Ads Inside Post