May 31, 2011

Faux Pewter Candle Holders

I found a couple of wooden candle holders at a thrift store for $1 (yep, thats right, for the pair).  I grabbed them and brought them home and there they sat. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them. Then inspiration hit-I'd transform them into metal.

This is the end result:


This is what I started with:


Much better, right?


Here's a close-up.  My husband saw them and didn't even realize they weren't metal. Ha! I faked out one person at least! 


There are only four steps. {Please note that I didn't say four easy steps-this is somewhat time consuming.  My need for a quick-finish apparently only applies to sewing projects.}


I used a faux leafing product {the same one I used here} to paint.  I mixed black paint with Behr glaze and wiped it off with a damp paper towel.  Since it was a relatively smooth surface, I had to be careful not to wipe too much glaze off.




5 comments:

Alia Dalwai said...

Hi!

Im your follower!

I really really liked your blog!

Keep up the good work!

Do visit mine too at http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

Alia

Kerry said...

I wonder if you could make other wood look like metal. I'm thinking the bronze look. . .

Cozy Home Scenes said...

I wouldn't have known they were wood until I saw the before picture. Great transformation, and thanks for telling us how to update our old candle holders.

Joy said...

I'm a new follower! I'm going to make your ruffled lamp shade this weekend!

Michelle said...

These turned out great! I love the new finish! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Ads Inside Post