April 06, 2011

Simple Spring Wreath


I wanted to make a wreath for spring, but I didn't want to go out and buy a wreath form, because I'm cheap frugal like that. The inspiration for the wreath form came from this tutorial, but I made a few changes.


So I just made my own and covered it with newspaper.  I added some pretty fabric rosettes.


I also tied a ribbon to the top.  It was too small to go on my door, so I glued it to this mirror frame.


I'm sure everyone has seen a tutorial at one point or another on how to make these rolled rosettes, unless you live under a rock or some other similar place.  If you want to know how I make them, go here. It makes me happy every time I see it hanging on my wall. I love how it brightens up the room.


Click below for the full tutorial.


All you need for this is things you probably already have: some cardboard, newspaper, fabric scraps, ribbon, and Mod Podge {or some other glue/sealer}.

 I cut four circles out of cardboard and glued them together for the base of the wreath.  Then I tore a whole bunch of newspaper into strips.


I wrapped the strips around the wreath form, overlapping as I went.  I used Mod Podge to attach the newspaper to the cardboard.


When I was finished, the newspaper looked to uniform, so I Mod Podged some more strips at different angles all over the wreath.  I sealed the whole thing with a coat of Mod Podge.


Then I hot glued a whole bunch of rosettes to the wreath.



I tied a ribbon at the top.  The wreath was to small to hang on my door {the only cardboard I had was diaper boxes}...


...So I hot glued the bow to a mirror frame.  The wreath is really light, so the hot glue is enough to hold it.

And there you go! Another project to make with things you already have on hand!



8 comments:

Register said...

What an awesome wreath! You make it look so easy too!

828 Miles Later said...

I'm gonna do this, but of course, I'll add my own twist to it. I love the rosettes and that will fho sho be on my wreath. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Andrea said...

This is a creative idea! I just found your site and love the ideas - thanks!

Andrea
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Sommer said...

Oh I'm so happy I found your blog. I love everything! This wreath is tutorial is adorable and can't wait to look around some more. I'm a new follower =) I would love to have you share this at my VIP party this weekend =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

Annette said...

I love the colors of the flowers...very springy!!

AllieMakes! said...

Very sweet! Great job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

June@I will craft said...

I absolutly love this wreath and your embellished clothes.

I'm awarding you with the Versatile Blogger award. You can check it out here:
http://havestampswillcraft.blogspot.com/2011/04/me-versatile-blogger.html

Kathryn Michelle Jenkins said...

ooohhh. I love this, especially. the newspaper looks cool.

kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Ads Inside Post