April 05, 2011

Ruffled Spring Dress

Bella has been requesting that I make her an orange dress ever since I made this dress for Cita.  I finally made one, and she was prancing around in it as soon as I put it on.  I guess she doesn't really care that it's a skirt instead of a dress.


The inspiration was this dress from Anthropologie.  I loved it as soon as I saw it, but it had two problems.  First, it didn't come in kids' sizes.  Second, it was $148. 



Neither one was an insurmountable problem.  I just made my own!


The Anthro dress is one piece, but I made mine two, because I'm dealing with a toddler and I didn't want to deal with a zipper as well.  


The skirt is high-waisted.  For the shirt, I used the technique from the Puff Ruffle Peasant from Whimsy Couture to make the ruffled collar. I also added the ruffle to the front.



It's perfect for throwing rocks into the water...


...and ripping apart hay bales.


Click below for the skirt tutorial. {I didn't do a shirt tutorial, because I used a technique from a pattern that is for sale.  If there is enough interest, I'll do a sew along for the shirt.}

Update 4/11/11 I will be doing a sew along next week for the top.  Click here if you'd like a discount on the pattern.
You'll need some fabric and wide elastic {mine is 2-inch}.

Start by cutting out two rectangles of fabric for the main part of your skirt.  I went about twice the width of a normal skirt so it would be full.  Also, make it longer than you would a regular skirt, since the waist is high.


Cut out two strips of fabric the same width as the width of your skirt.  Measure with your elastic so that they are a little bit longer on top and bottom, as shown.


Stitch the skirt and the strips, right sides together, up both sides.


Finish the top and bottom of the skirt.  I used a narrow hem.


Iron the raw edges of your strip under.  Your strip should now be only slightly wider than your elastic.


Pin your strip to the inside of the skirt, all the way around.


Sew the strip to the skirt, leaving an opening on top to insert your elastic. You can sew the bottom all the way around.  Insert the elastic into the casing, then stitch it closed.


There's your skirt!


Linking here.

9 comments:

Kara said...

You are so talented! I wish I could create everything you do! I miss seeing you all the time!

Kara said...

Oh yeah, and I'd love a tutorial for the shirt too. My girls would love it!

Karen G. said...

Super-cute outfit! I finally bought the Puff Ruffle Peasant pattern, so I'd love a sew along! Count me in!

Becky said...

Wow! How adorable! Sometimes I really wish I had a daughter! Great job, and TONS better than the $150 version!

Melissa said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

Melissa
MyCraftieLife.Blogspot.com

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

absolutely adorable! this came out so cute! I love it! And your pictures are fabulous!

Sommer said...

Oh my I love the skirt but I'm REALLY interested in the top! I haven't sewn hardly anything since last fall. I was moving in jan/feb and haven't even unpacked my sewing stuff since I moved in. I'm missing it terribly! I would love to have you share this at my party also! =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

Quiltstory said...

Love this alot! So super cute! The top is amazing! Thanks for the tutorial. I may just have to whip one up! Thanks for linking up to Quilt Story!

Yolanda @ Miss Refashionista said...

too cute!!

Ads Inside Post