April 14, 2011

The Plum Top

Cita seems to be getting better at letting me take her picture, which is great.  I've been sewing lots of spring clothes for her. 



This is a quick little top that I came up with knowing that we have a hot, humid summer ahead of us.  She'll need some light clothing to wear, but I feel like leaving those poor little shoulders exposed to the sun in sleeveless tops is just asking for a sunburn. 


This way, she gets the protection of sleeves {well, sort of}, but it's not too hot.


I paired the top with some paper bag shorts.  I've been seeing them around lately, and I think they're adorable.


Come back tomorrow for the tutorial for the paper bag shorts.



Click below for the tutorial.
All you need for this is fabric, thread and elastic {I used 1/8 inch}.

First, cut out the bodice.  The easiest way is to find something with spaghetti straps to use as a pattern.  Fold it in half and fold your fabric in half. Instead of cutting right on the fold, position your "pattern" farther out.  This will give you extra fabric to gather.

When it's cut out, it should look like this:


For your sleeves, cut a strip of fabric several inches wider on both sides than your bodice.  For an infant size, I used the whole 45-inch width, so if you're making one for an older child, you may have to cut two pieces.


Sew the side seams of your bodice.


Sew the side seam(s) of your sleeve strip.


To finish your arm holes, fold the arm hole under once.


Fold it under again.


Stitch close to the edge. Repeat for the other side.


To finish the sleeve bottom, fold under twice, and stitch close to the edge.


Pin your sleeves to the top of the bodice, front and back.


Make sure your edges line up.  


Zig zag stitch all around the top of the sleeves, making sure you go through the bodice as well.  If you're lucky enough to have a serger, that would work even better for this step.


Press the top edge down.  Make sure the fold of the bodice is tight with the fold of the sleeve.


Stitch around the sleeves and bodice to form a casing to insert the elastic.  Leave an opening for the elastic.



Insert your elastic, gathering the top of the shirt up to the size you want it.  Stitch the elastic ends together.  Stitch the casing closed.


Finish the bottom hem.  I zig zagged around the bottom, pressed it under, and stitched.


And you're finished.

Linking here.

6 comments:

nest full of eggs said...

adorable :)

Lindsay(PACountryCrafts) said...

Very cute! I might try this one for my 2yo- she is needing shirts and I am trying to use up fabric quickly!

Amanda said...

That's super cute! I love the shorts too. :)

Rachel said...

I really like this, very cute!

Monica said...

Love it! I can't wait to make one for my li'l sweet pea!

Andrea said...

This is super duper cute...and I LOVE the plum fabric!

Andrea
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Ads Inside Post