April 21, 2011

Monogrammed Rug

This doormat was left at our house by the previous owners.  My husband was all for throwing it out, but I kept it.  Now I'm really glad I did.  I wanted to try painting on a rug, but I didn't want to ruin a rug that I had actually paid money for.


I wanted something small enough to do on an doormat, and after thinking about it for a little while, I came up with the idea to do a monogram.



The monogram all by itself seemed like it would be too boring, so I added a quatrefoil shape around the outside.


Click below for instructions.

I wanted the quatrefoil shape to be big enough to fill the rug, so I had to draw one myself instead of printing one out.  I drew mine on freezer paper so that I could iron it to the rug.

First, start by drawing two perpendicular lines on your paper.


Use something circle-shaped {I used a mixing bowl} to draw a circle on your paper.  You want one point of the circle to intersect at the same point your lines intersect.  Also make sure that where the circle intersects one point on each of the lines is the same distance from the point where the two lines intersect.


Draw three more circles.  They should all meet at one point.  The spaces where two circles overlap should all be the same size.


Take a ruler and use it to mark your squares at the outside of where two circles meet.


Trace the square.


Do the same thing three more times, so that your shape looks like this.


Now erase all the inside lines and tilt your paper and you have a quatrefoil shape perfectly sized for whatever it is you want it for.


To make a stencil, I cut two lines with an exacto knife on either side of my pencil line.  This separated the inner piece from the outer piece.


I centered the inner piece on my rug and ironed it on.  Then I peeled it off because I decided to make things a bit easier and cut out the letter for the monogram.


Then I ironed it back on and ironed the outer piece on as well.


Then all you have to do is paint it and wait for the paint to dry.


Then display it in front of your front door so that you have the most fashionable {and frugal!} doormat on your street!



7 comments:

Kerry said...

All that math you took paid off! I've seen the original rug and I thought it was going in the trash too, but this transformation looks terrific!

Annette said...

That looks amazing! I'll have to remember this terrific idea!

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

Way to reuse Terra!!! I really like the shape you used for the outline! Thanks for stopping by my Rope Vase post as well!!! :)

http://sassandfrasscrafts.blogspot.com/ said...

Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Tess :)

Susie said...

Wonderful tutorial. Linked to you here :http://www.mommysavers.com/2011/07/10-decorating-5-living-room-updates-using-spray-paint/

Amara said...

I was just wondering what kind of paint you used. I'm trying to do this project, but I want to make sure I use a durable paint that can stand the wear and tear it will go through.
Thanks! It was just the project I was looking for!

Terra said...

I actually just used acrylic paint. The fibers on the rug are really short, which I think helps, but it's stood up to wear and tear well.