February 22, 2011

Stenciled Big Boy Pants


It's Celebrate the Boy week at Made and Made By Rae.  You probably don't need me to tell you that.  Anyway, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and make something for my son. He gets the short end of the crafting stick {although he definitely enjoyed chocolate week!}.

So he gets Stenciled Big Boy Pants, aka "There's a dinosaur on my bum/tush/behind/whatever-your-family-calls-it".

I used regular freezer paper stenciling. 


Except on this guy.  I used a bleach pen for him. I saw one used freehand here and decided to try it with a stencil. Pretty cool, huh?  I'll show you how I did it.


If you already know how to do freezer paper stenciling, you pretty much know how to do this.
First trace your stencils onto freezer paper. If you're using the bleach pen, go with something that isn't super detailed, because it will bleed a little. All my stencils came from Spraypaint Stencils.  They have a pretty good variety, and they're all free.  


Cut out the stencil with an exacto knife. As I was cutting, I noticed the scorpion had an extra leg, so that didn't get cut out.  Just in case you wondered.


Iron the shiny side to your fabric.


This is where I switch it up on you!
Grab your bleach pen and fill it in.  As soon as you have it all filled in, quickly tear off your freezer paper.  If you're like me, you'll go over the edge of your paper, and the longer the paper stays on your fabric, the bigger chance of the bleach soaking through and turning your master piece into a bleach blob. Also, make sure you rinse carefully so you don't spread the bleach.


And there it is. The bleach made the edges not as sharp, but you can still tell it's a scorpion. Right? Right?!  


 The other two were made with paint.







1 comment:

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said...

Love the T-Rex! That's awesome