February 21, 2011

Shabby Apple Knock-Off

This dress is a knock-off of one that I saw on Shabby Apple.  I liked the simplicity of the dress, so  I decided to make one of my own for Bella.  I used a gray knit sheet that I already had as the fabric for the dress.


Here's the inspiration dress:

Close this window

My favorite feature was the tie on the front.  I think it gives the dress such a classic look.


The sleeves ended up a little longer than on the original dress. I also am really bad about getting sleeves to fit when I make my own pattern.  I always make the actual sleeve too small.  That's what happened here.  I had intended to gather the top of the sleeve like in the original dress, but the sleeve was already the perfect size to fit inside the armhole.  Note to self: make the sleeve way bigger than I think it needs to be and it will be perfect.


I also whipped up some leg warmers to go with the dress.


You'll never guess what they came from. {Or maybe you will.}  A tutorial is coming soon for the leg warmers.   


Linking here.


8 comments:

Lex-a-roo said...

wow that is amazing you are so talented.

Lisa said...

I want to make one! Yours looks super cute.

Emily said...

I love me some knock-off projects! Congrats on OMTWI, I made it too. Maybe there should be a support group for hubs who think we're crazy for crafting (and craft contests). Good luck, stop by sometime domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

Yolanda @ Miss Refashionista said...

I love the look of the tie-front. Wanna share how you made it? I would GREATLY appreciately.

please pretty please!

AllieMakes! said...

AWW! Perfect in minature!! Love it!!

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com said...

ah that is amazing!! I absolutely love it! I want one for me :)

Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings and make sure to come enter my giveaway for Handstamped Silver :)

Sachiko said...

She is so adorable!

Emily said...

Love the tie on the dress. It looks really comfy. Darling little girl!

Ads Inside Post